Books

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I have read everything in the house.

I need a new series to get into, any suggestions?

Some parameters;

I read damn fast, and I enjoy long books with involved story lines. I like everything, but recently sci-fi, or space operas are appealing.

Get some of the obvious out of the way

I have read:

Dune (all)
LOTR (all)
Wheel of time
Recluce
sword of truth

Wouldn't mind something along the lines of the Dresden files

Please help.

Altron

I read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth, and I really enjoyed it.

Since my favorite series are also LOTR, wheel of time, sword of truth, and the Dark Tower, I'm sure that you like any book I do.

Dave

Try Sarah Ash's "Tears of Artamon" series.
I typically don't like fantasy series books but i enjoyed the first one. Just starting the second one.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Dave?! Holy cow! Dave and Tonks in one day! It's like everyone is coming out of winter hibernation!

Inkara1

Buy a Chilton's manual for your car and read through that. You'll learn a lot... and should you ever need to replace the heater core or rebuild the transmission, you'll be better prepared.

greenfreak

Do you like thrillers? If so, try the books Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child wrote together. Also Jeffrey Deaver and Patricia Cornwell.

BeardofPants

Oh, and for something different, I really enjoyed The book thief by Markus Zusak:

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is 'The Gravedigger's Handbook', left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery.

So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jewish fist-fighter in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

And here's a book search database 'if you like... try ... ' :

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/books/search

chcr

Too cute for words
The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb was quite engaging. I just finished her Farseer trilogy which was also quite good (always IMO of course) On another tack (pun fully intended) have you ever read the Horatio Hornblower books? How about the Philip Marlowe or Ellery Queen detective stories? Anything by Jack London is good. I find that typically there are good reasons why some authors are considered really good ones so when I'm looking for something new to read and nothing catches my fancy right away I sometimes look for something older that's new to me.

If you like "hard" science fiction (my personal favorite), I see someone mentioned Asimov. Larry Niven is another good choice, as are David Brin and Greg Bear. Ever read "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson? Great book, kind of an interesting take on where we're going with all this technology. Others along similar lines are "Burning Chrome" and "Neuromancer" by William Gibson who coined and popularized the term "cyberspace."

Clearly I could go on and on but then, I'd read tech manuals (and I do sometimes) if there was nothing else handy. :D

Inkara1

I used to read a lot of Michael Crichton, too. Jurassic Park the novel is a lot different than the movie.

BeardofPants

I second everything chcr said, 'cept for the Robin Hobb which never engaged me and the niven which I've yet to read (it's on my to-read list). The only Bear I've read is a foundation novel, but that was pretty engaging.