Bored to death...how important is YOUR telephone number?

Jeslek

Banned
Lol, anyways, working the the telecommunications industry taught me a few interesting facts.

Years ago when the North American Numbering Plan was established, area codes were assigned depending on the importance of the city. Since they used those rotating devices, an important place like New York was given 212 which can be dialed fairly rapidly.

However, an unimportant place like the outskirts of Toronto was given 905, meaning you have to dial a 9, wait a long time for the rotation device to return, then dial a 0 and wait even longer, and then a 5.

To find out how important your area code is, add the digits, adding 10 if you have a 0.

My area code is 905. That comes to 24. New York is 212, coming to 5. Lower is more important... So, who is the least important and who is the most important? :) :p

573, or 15, Guess I'm slightly more important than you. I have lost importance though, as they restructured here, used to be 314, or 8.

317 = 11 :headbang:

I feel bad for our very close neighbors, who recently lost the 317 area code and had to be stuck with 765. That's 18 :(

That is odd, Kansas City is 816, seems like they would have been more important than that. 15.

I'm 705, outside the Greater Toronto Area. Apparently cottage country is more important than the GTA :D

btw, 905 was just implemented a few years back, it used to be all 416.

I feel even worse for those poor saps dialing 800 or 900 numbers with a rotary dial :eek:

have there been any kind of studies on how this interesting theory affects brain patterns in chimpanzees?

Which area code? Atlanta has 3.

404 (downtown and the original) = 18
770 (second on, and mine) = 24
678 (newest) = 21

808 = 26 ... dang ...

I think me and ku'u need to go on another "Hawai'i isn't even important" rampage :D

My code is 0207, having last used a wheel phone about 17 years ago as a small child i cannot tell how good or bad it is :headbang:

I don't think England used that system... Besides, they have area codes of 1 length and of 8 length as in 5357356... Quite puzzling. (the telephone numbers are also not fixed to 7 digits).

Back