Brain scans

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Are we really advanced enough for this?
A controversial technique for identifying a criminal mind using involuntary brainwaves that could reveal guilt or innocence is about to take centre stage in a last-chance court appeal against a death-row conviction in the US.
The technique, called "brain fingerprinting", has already been tested by the FBI and has now become part of the key evidence to overturn the murder conviction of Jimmy Ray Slaughter who is facing execution in Oklahoma.

Brain Fingerprinting, developed by Dr Larry Farwell, chief scientist and founder of Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, is a method of reading the brain's involuntary electrical activity in response to a subject being shown certain images relating to a crime.

Unlike the polygraph or lie detector to which it is often compared, the accuracy of this technology lies in its ability to pick up the electrical signal, known as a p300 wave, before the suspect has time to affect the output.

"It is highly scientific, brain fingerprinting doesn't have anything to do with the emotions, whether a person is sweating or not; it simply detects scientifically if that information is stored in the brain," says Dr Farwell.

BBC be careful they don't change the story

They used to say the same thing about DNA sampling and fingerprinting of criminals (kept on record), but it's just another, albeit a more fancy, way to check wether you've got the right person.

Frankly, I see it as a good thing. If it helps save innocent people from the death penalty, then it's worth the effort. Less wheat with the chaff. As a bonus, you can re-open a case and try to find out who really did a crime and convict them instead.

Kudos!

But you must agree that this shouldn't be the only way to test and convict/release ppl right? I mean it would have to accompany alot of evidence otherwise I could see a major debate coming!

MrBishop said:
They used to say the same thing about DNA sampling and fingerprinting of criminals (kept on record), but it's just another, albeit a more fancy, way to check wether you've got the right person.

Frankly, I see it as a good thing. If it helps save innocent people from the death penalty, then it's worth the effort. Less wheat with the chaff. As a bonus, you can re-open a case and try to find out who really did a crime and convict them instead.

Kudos!

You're not backing out on your promise to be the innocent guy whacked to get the 999 criminals put to death, are ya?

Back