Brew with Prof

Nixy, I tol ya you was goin' ta secn'd rate skool. If that's the case, why'd Montreal lose 3 mains, including on 90 incher in the middle of summer?

Unc, there's loads to do here in winter, but for a southern boy like yerself, the learning curve would be mighty steep. It's not much fun icefishing before you learn to keep from getting frost bite. Or cross country skiing until you learn about dressing in layers. (I just got a memory flash of one time when I was out and by the time i got to the lodge, my breath had frozen my moustache and beard together and I couldn't talk.)

I remember going home (Scotland) one winter and they were having one of the worst winters on record. I was strolling around in a sleveless skivest, almost sweating. I couldn't understand why so many people were having so much trouble driving with only an inch of slush on the ground. And even standing for the bus. (of course, I'm wearing my usual winter boots with big rubber lugs and steel cleats.)

I should probably think about flying up as the cost of petrol would most likely make it a wash if not more expensive ... not to mention the 20~ hour drive each way and time vegging at the border trying to get across... I guess it all depends on when and for how long. Lord knows the band thing I'm doing these days can be a pretty demanding mistress for time.

I'm also pretty scarce for real winter gear. I'm almost in shorts half the time down here in winter. I just wear thicker socks and layer up with 2 shirts.

You might wanna rethink that. Montreal has some of the highest airport fees going. I can get a $69 flight to toronto, and it'll cost me over $200.

A friday to sunday hop with a 14 day advance seems to be coming up as about 240+ US$ ... but thats without all of the scary junk fees and stuff that youre speaking of. It would probably end up as about 350$ US.

2500~ total driving miles meaning ~140 gallons of petrol @ an average of 1.50/gal ... meaning $260 dollars in raw fuel costs... and I get to keep my truck onhand as well as be utterly flexible with arrival and departure. the only drawback is 2 days of pure travel time ... but I've done much worse than mere 1250 mile single stretches.

Prof...your mains may have not burst for the same reason but OUR main that broke last winter was frozen.

befroe you ask how water went everywhere if it was frozen...it wasn't all frozen but was frozen enough to bust it

Nixy said:
Prof...your mains may have not burst for the same reason but OUR main that broke last winter was frozen.

The engineer who planned that probably went to the same school you're going to right now. Do try to do better, will you?

Professur said:
The engineer who planned that probably went to the same school you're going to right now. Do try to do better, will you?

That was over a hundred years ago, Mac wasn't even in Hamilton a hundred years ago...it started out in Toronto.

Oh, and insulting my school? NOT a good idea. I love my school, it is in the top 10 in north America. Only UofT and one other rank above it in Canada for Civil Engineering. So, :p

Say anything bad again and I am opening fire on your ass.

No, this isn't funny. I can have fun everywhere else but I really do love my school. I have nothing bad to say about it. I love what I am doing there too. Everything I learn chnages the way I look at the world and brings me one step closer to doing what i wanna do with my life.

I take this shit seriously because it's my future. I am not there to get away from home or to goof off. I am there to learn and wouldn't work all summer and then pay all that money out to a school that I wasn't sure was worthy.

:moon2:

You wanna piece o' me, let's dance girly.

Top ten in north america, eh? I guess their afraid to compare themselves against a real school like University of Glasgow.

Back