Building a Home Theater PC

pc_builder

Ok a friend wants me to build a pc for him that he can use in his home theater. Blu-Ray, DVR, hdmi out functionality. I know what I'm going to need to build it, except the case.

He wants it to fit into a space on an entertainment center that is only 4.5" high. The space is wide enough and deep enough, I'm just concerned about the height. Anyone know of any cases that thin? I did a little searching online and found some 5.5" wide cases, but that's one inch too many. Any ideas?

chcr

Too cute for words
BTW, you don't need HDMI out. you can get a DVI to HDMI converter cable anywhere.

Re the case, as Mirlyn points out if you have the width and depth a server case is the way to go.

Inkara1

DVI-HDMI loses the ability to pass sound, though, since HDMI can carry sound and DVI can't. Also, will the HDMI/DVI conversion make the connection lose its ability to talk both ways? If so, it could force blu-ray movies to downconvert to 480p thanks to copy protection.

Mirlyn

DVI-HDMI loses the ability to pass sound, though, since HDMI can carry sound and DVI can't. Also, will the HDMI/DVI conversion make the connection lose its ability to talk both ways? If so, it could force blu-ray movies to downconvert to 480p thanks to copy protection.
Also depends if the display is HDCP compliant. I don't know if those adapters are. The DVI Dual Link cables should be, so maybe they make HDMI->DVI dual-link adapters.

As for audio, I've seen HDMI on some motherboards for the onboard video, but otherwise I'd doubt video cards pass the audio over their HDMI. I'd just get a decent sound card option with digital (optical or coaxial) out.