Building a new PC...it's been awhile.

flavio

Banned
Since I haven't really been keeping up with hardware like I used to I'm thinking of pretty much following this Value Gaming PC guide for the most part.

Any thoughts on this system? I don't need the monitor or input devices but I might just buy the rest of the stuff from the list. Leaning towards their AMD option right now as it's about $60-70 cheaper.

Watch the ads this time of year. I bet you can save a bundle on some great stuff. See the ATI x800 in the Black Friday previews for an example.

I would go with the AMD system (which I did):)
*but go for the socket 939* you wont be sorry

I'm gonna build an amd-64 system when I get the money.
I like the looks of amd more since they started putting that protective cover on there like intel. :)

Kruz said:
I would go with the AMD system (which I did):)
*but go for the socket 939* you wont be sorry
I'm thinking about it but here's the difference...

Athlon 64 3400+ (socket 754) : $153
Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939) : $282

That's almost double for not much performance gain and I'm having trouble with the idea.

the opteron 144\146\148 use the same core as the FX57
which is why they overclock so well. most will do 2.8-2.9g on stock coolers and at stock voltages. I went from a stock 2.0g to 3.0g with only having to raise the voltage to 1.55v (stock is 1.40v)
and I got it at newegg for $190 last week.

Gonz said:
Watch the ads this time of year. I bet you can save a bundle on some great stuff. See the ATI x800 in the Black Friday previews for an example.
Alright, looks like there's certainly some deals to be had...especially on vid cards. Someone want to explain the advantages of PCI-Express over AGP? I never heard of PCI-Express until a couple days ago.

Kruz, what's the difference between your Opteron and the procesor's I'm looking at? The benchmarks look great.

If I do go with a socket 939 what do you think of their high-end motherboard?

that DFI lanparty is the best right now. but you can get the same overclocking abilitys with the mobo i have , and at 1\2 the cost.

the 3800+ has 512 l2 cache
the opteron has 1mb l2 cache and is cheaper

Flav, I can testify. Kruz does his homework when it comes to OCing.
I got a processor from him some time back, and it did every bit of what he said it would,
when I couldn't get similar ones close. ;)

Hey Kruz in case you hadn't heard socket 939 is going to be phased out by the new socket 940. Still a little ways off though.

Flav; the option between 754 and 939 is rather simple. You'll pay a little more(10%) for the 939 system but your upgrade path will be better in the future. The cpu on a 939 system more expensive but pci-e videocards are cheaper.
As far as video goes for agp & pci-e at this time i would recommend the X800 pro. Hands down the best price to performance ratio. In the 939 arena i would recommend an X800pro refurb direct from ATI. It's a refurb but it comes with a 3 year warranty and ATi has a superb record in this area. Nice at $179.00. Another option i could just as easily recommend would be an SLI capable 6600Gt. Not only are these nice cards but two years down the road you'll have the option of picking up a second one for <$50 and nearly doubling your video power. One important tip in all this is to make sure you get a quality/name brand psu with plenty of wattage especially if you might consider the sli option in the future.

Agp is x8 and pci-e is x16. Also as i stated above with pci-e you have the sli option.

Oh and the 3200+ Venice is a no brainer.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Hey Kruz in case you hadn't heard socket 939 is going to be phased out by the new socket 940. Still a little ways off though.

ya it should be coming out Q2 of 2007, buy then I'll be ready for new stuff anyway :D

Kruz said:
the opteron 144\146\148 use the same core as the FX57
which is why they overclock so well. most will do 2.8-2.9g on stock coolers and at stock voltages. I went from a stock 2.0g to 3.0g with only having to raise the voltage to 1.55v (stock is 1.40v)
and I got it at newegg for $190 last week.
Could you do me a favor and give me a link to the processor at Newegg? I was trying ot find a 146 at that price. I already have a case and your motherboard in my cart.

I'm also kinda wondering what this NVIDIA nForce4 bit is on the motherboard.

Inkara1 said:
nVidia Nforce4 is the chipset. That's as opposed to an Intel or VIA chipset.

Newegg must be out of the 146; this is the only 146 I could find and it's retail boxed and a lot more than $190.

newegg raised there price on these because of the demand. (bastards) :lol2:
this was my invoice from 11-8-05
19-103-598 CPU AMD|OPTERON 146 2.0GHZ 1M RT (Serial#: 1341199J50469) 1 $190.00 $190.00

RT stand for "retail boxed" on that invoice? If so, damn... they raised the price by almost $100. Is that Newegg or AMD doing the butt-fucking here?

I don't know if I
'hate it when'
or
'love it'

when people who don't know squat about 'puters
talk 'puters...

Back