Burning DVDs with a CDR.

Professur

I've been getting about 5 emails a day for the last 2 months about some magical way to burn DVDs using a CDR. Cheap fucker that I am, I'm damned if I'm gonna cough up a cent to find out if it's real or not. But I am curious. So, has anyone else sent away for it?

The pits of DVD's are much too small for the laser in a CD-R to fit. There's no way a software hack would make it happen. You'd have to know a lot about lasers and physically modify the machine, and then you have to modify the firmware.

In other words, whoever falls for it just wasted their money.

Impossible to do it.

I bet it is just a marketing tactic for a product that will let you backup a dvd into several cds, or that will allow you to rip the dvd and convert it to divx,vcd or xvid.

I squeeze each movie onto two cds. That's with something like 480x280 resolution. I couildn't stand much less than that and theirs no way someones going to get it all that information on one disk unless they have some amazing new compression method. Highly unlikely.

You kiddin? i've been doin xvid and divx for ages now at excellent noise free quality at high resolutions (600x 700x range) at 700MB or less, i even squeezed LOTR 1 onto a cd. You using mpeg SVCD or something then?

Dunno i've never actually 'backed one up' myself yet. But it seems like all the ones i have are of that resolution. Many of them are with xvid as well. I'll take a closer look today.

I've seen plenty of dvd quality xvid rips under 700mb. I haven't had such luck myself, but I know it can be done. I've seen plenty of evidence ;)

Man, if you ever get it to work, let me know. I've tried a half dozen or so, no luck. VCDs are no problem, but xvids always come out useless.

really? I've had so so results with divx at less than 700mb, but no luck getting to dvd quality. the Xvid codec seems to produce the best results but I haven't tried it myself yet. Maybe I'll have to install a dvd drive tonight and see what kind of results I get.

Well, being both lazy, and overly impressed with my own intelligence, I haven't taken time to read the documentation yet. That might be part of the problem. :retard:

I have those same traits :D It's really gonna come down to trial and error i guess. Either that or Justin will tell us the settings he's using ;)

I've been too lazy to try the Gordian Knot method, and I KNOW that is my problem. I would like to try DVDx or is it xDVD, well whatever its called, but I know I need to use the Gordian Knot method to get good results. Maybe I'll try it one day, but I don't want to listen to my wife complain while I spend all day trying to figure it out :(

RD_151 said:
Maybe I'll try it one day, but I don't want to listen to my wife complain while I spend all day trying to figure it out
Best thing about my wife going back to school, she leaves me alone if I'm on the computer for hours. Of course that's also the worst thing, but you can't have everything.

Sounds good. I think we will both be going back to school soon. I guess I better get busy figuring out how to do this while I still have time ;) She's gonna start studying for the actuarial exams soon that should give me all the time I'll need :D

Ok the key to proper encoding with xvid for size and quality is to NEVER do CBR 1 pass encoding, you may get good results, but most of the time you'll be bound to get noise in certain areas. When you're doing a file, choose 2 pass 1st pass in xvid options, let it encode, it'll take some time. After thats done, don't look at the encoded file or close whatever program you're using, keep it there on that file, go back to options, choose 2 pass 2nd pass int. and enter desired size of VIDEO, not VIDEO + AUDIO that you want. This is in kilobytes, so for a 700mb file with say a 117mb MP3 audio file you want about 580MB for video which is about 593920kb and go from there, you can use the same filename as the first pass file as its not needed anymore, but remember, never close the file down, do the second pass on the same file. This will always provide the best and cleanest encoding for xvid.

The person who encodes no particular anime series that I may or may not watch says anything more than first pass will degrade the quality...

Erm dude, that person is on crack. 2 pass encoding dosen't actually encode anything on the first pass, it reads the file and makes a log of the varying of the bitrate and how much is needed scence by scene etc.. so instead of a constant bit rate its able to vary it depending on scene on the second pass, as it has a log of suggested rates and thus the rates video would be evenly distributed depending on need of the scene and the overall file size will not be larger than desired size.
If however, he meant reencoding an already encoded file, hes correct, but that has nothing to do with 2 pass variable rate encoding.

I don't know the specifics, only that (from what I hear, of course, I don't download any of them ;)) his encodes are the best... DVD quality and dual audio tracks (listen in english or japanese) w/ subtitles...

Back