Burning DVDs with a CDR.

I don't know what you know that you know. I only know that you know you know that you know. Someday I'll be elite like you guys and be able to know what you know you know. Who's fury? :tardbang:

flurffmeister said:
The person who encodes no particular anime series that I may or may not watch says anything more than first pass will degrade the quality...
I think I've seen that one. :headbang:

Ok, multipass doesn't come from 5th Element, but it describes the best quality audio or video encoding method known at the moment.

Using multipass technique when encoding video into another format means basically that the video encoder analyzes the video many (multi :) times from the beginning to the end before the actual encoding process. While scanning the file, encoder writes information about the original video to its own logfile and uses that log to determine the best possible way to fit the video within the bitrate limits user has set for the encoding process -- this is why multi-pass encoding is only used in VBR encoding (the CBR encoding doesn't offer any flexibility for the encoder to determine the bitrate for each frame). Best way to understand why this is used is to think of a movie -- when there are shots that are totally, absolutely black, like scene changes, normal 1-pass CBR encoding uses the exact same amount of data to that part as it uses for complex action scene. But by using VBR and multi-pass, encoder "knows" that this piece is Ok with lower bitrate and that bitrate can be then used for more complex scenes, thus creating better quality for those scenes that require more bitrate.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/multipass.cfm

I think you guys mean reencoding an already encoded file, as i've said before the first pass does not actually encode any video, it just logs and suggests bitrates.

I used to do it, with big avis before i got a dvd burner, basically makin 1.4gb to 700mb, the 2 pass method works well there as well surprisingly, as i hardly saw a difference (apart from AC3 to mp3 audio so lost a few channels) the video was almost nearly exact.

BTW, by far the best apps i've used for making avi's are virtual dub and nan dub, probably a bit more complicated then others but once you get the hang of it its like riding a bike, you never forget. Also flask mpeg is good, and for mpeg files tmpeg is oneof the best.

Justin,

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to give it a shot one of these days. Hopefully one day soon. Definitely multipass is the way to go. I couldn't imagine getting good results from one pass.

Ok, I used dvd2avi and nandub with the xvid codec. Although the results were by far the best I have gotten so far, it seems as though I might need some type of filter or something. It appears as though there are black lines everywhere, like every other line of pixels horizontally. Is this an interlacing issue? Is there something I need to check under the advanced options with the codec, or is there some filter I should be applying afterwards? Aside from this issue, it came out near perfect with near DVD quality. if I can only figure out this last part, it would be dvd quality in less than 700mb!

Thanks so much Justin!!! :headbang:

This is awesome. xvid is sooooo much better than divx 5.0x.

:headbang:

Back