Bush sighting

greenfreak

No, not that bush.

First, Rusty and I went out to dinner and as we're driving down a major road by where we work, I see that there are cops blocking off the parking lot I'm trying to turn into. I looked and looked around the parking lot to see if there was an accident or something, but all I could see was cars, yellow caution tape, and a powder blue suitcase sitting in the lot about 20 feet from where my car was stuck in traffic.

It was the powder blue suitcase. Apparently, someone either found the suitcase and called the police or someone called in a bomb threat. By the time we finished dinner, the bomb squad was there, putting on the protective suits and they were evacuating the stores. We were there for at least an hour, it took them that long to realize that if there was a bomb in the parking lot, they should probably evacuate the lot and the stores that border it.

I haven't been able to find news on that yet but since it's happening right now, I might have to wait.

Anyway, then we're driving home and I get on the Southern State Parkway going west. And I notice there's no traffic on the eastbound side. For miles. And miles and miles and miles. And there are police blocking every entrance. Then we see at least 20 motorcycle cops going the other way. Then I finally spot the motorcade. And I turned just in time to see the presedential limo roll by. It was pretty cool.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/bush.newyork.ap/index.html

My last apartment was in East Meadow, where Eisenhower Park is. And I've eaten at that restarant too, it's not that good. Funny how Bush shows up to a little memorial groundbreaking on freakin Long Island right after he starts getting flak about his commercials. The only time Presidents ever come here is on their way out to the posh rich-and-famous Hamptons, and even then they fly out there.

So, strange night. But dinner was awesome.

I worked between downtown & LAX, on the main motorcade route. Several times a year the whole street would suddenly seem empty before 20-30 black vehicles came flying by. The fun was guessing which one help the President & which one held the dumbass impostors.

A random memory struck me as I read this. When I was about 14, my school went to Ottawa on a class trip. Parliament Hill was a must see, of course. We got to go inside, on the balcony, while parliament was in session. After that, we were in the lobby type area when Brian Mulroney came strolling down the stairs with a bunch of aids, and nary a noticeable security presence. However I *was* prevented from getting to close to our Prime Minister by a gaggle of journalists that immediately surrounded him. I even got an elbow in the face from an overly enthusiastic cameraman.

I guess access to our politicians is Canadian phenomenon in North America.

I also wonder if you can still get quite that close today......

I saw Bush when he visited Tony Blairs home at Sedgefield here in the UK last year (Blair *arshole* lives five mins away from me)........well, when I say saw bush, I mean I saw a shitload of blacked out cars driving past me house :eh:

I was gonna walk into sedgefield village to watch him have a lil' walkabout ........... but I already seen his piccy on photo's etc.

We Have that kind of access at the state governor level and all lesser tiers of the feds. The psycho protection is really only afforded to the prez, vice prez, main cabinet staff and their families as well as the Supreme Court justices. I don't think anyone else outside of a foreign dignitary rates the full goon squad.

I saw his dad once, when I was in Korea. I drove the staircase truck to his plane. They wouldn'r let me out of the truck, though, :confused: so all I saw was the back of his head through the side mirrors. That, and a secret-service mans holstered weapon...

Dobbins ARB is around the corner, and the Prez flies into there 2 out of 3 trips to Atlanta. I see the rolling roadblocks on I-75 at least once a year.

I cooked Dinner for Mike Dukakis back in '88. That was kinda cool, got to meet him, shake his hand, seemed like a nice enough guy. Unc's right about the govenors though, I've met Missouri's last three govenors, had dinner with Carnahan once, with about 200 other people, but hey, it was dinner.

Ex-VIP's are easier to ge to. I met and had a 45 minute long conversation with Kim Campbel (first female Prime Minister in Canada), in the lobby of the hotel where I worked, sitting ona couch and discussing her book and her times in office.

It was very nice to be able to speak with someone who used to be in power and see a glimpse of what goes on 'behind the red-curtain' :)

tonks said:
um...not that i'm keeping count but you are so not older than oz....:)

*nods* I dunno wether to be happy or sad about that :eh:

Freako is wot? 22? 23?.........I think I'm happy :)

Back