Calif. sues 6 carmakers

Brilliant. It had absolutely fuck all to do with the millions of assholes driving said cars, not keeping them tuned up, and insisting on buying massive penile compensators.

Calif. Why am I never suprised.

It'd be cool if it got them to clean up emmissions.

They honestly can't get emissions much cleaner than they already are. My 2000 Dodge Neon barely registers a blip on the smog check, even at six years old with 94,000 miles. Ford Expeditions qualify as low-emissions vehicles (they burn a lot of gas but they burn it clean). The problem, as far as cars are concerned, are poorly-maintained vehicles, one of which can emit more smog than an entire dealership's worth of new Hummers.

Of course, the real problems are in old diesel trucks, pre-1977 school buses (many are still on the road), diesel farm equipment, etc. I'd like to see what an effect the new cleaner-burning diesel will have before suing automakers that are already producing engines that come close to emitting cleaner air out the tailpipe than they take in through the intake manifold.

They exceeded the original CARB standards 25 years ago. All the bureaucrats at CARB lowered the standards. They met those. I'll bet you can guess what happened next.

Sorry, Inky but your taxes are about to go up.

They honestly can't get emissions much cleaner than they already are.

Then why would they fight it? Article states:

California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.

My Olds still meets emission standards, and it's carbureted. The last carbureted passenger car engine to do so.

I'd like to see all the automobile manufactuers tell California to piss off then move the dealerships to Arizona, Nevada & Oregon. They've already bent over backwards for that state. Dumbasses.

Yeah, that'll happen.

California always has to lead the way on reducing emissions because the ignorant in other states won't do it.

Yeah, that'll happen.

California always has to lead the way on reducing emissions because the ignorant in other states won't do it.

California always has to lead the way on reducing emissions because LA was ignorantly built in a bowl and they're too ignorant to reduce polution by themselves by improving their own habits and outlawing cars. They had to have someone else do the work of improving their air quality beyond raw poison. I still recall a serious proposal of blowing holes in the surrounding mountains and installing monster fans .... because LAes couldn't bring themselves to get rid of their cars and build a clean mass transit system sufficient to their needs .... even when the children and elderly were dying. This is just one more shot at putting the blame (and cost) on someone else.

Thankfully California leading the way on reducing emissions benifits everybody, even the people hell bent on polluting.

People hell bent on polluting? Would that be anybody driving to work or the mall or their moms or Dairy Queen? Damn them for living.

Then why would they fight it? Article states:

California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.

In order to cut the emissions from where they're at now, wholesale changes to the very core of gasoline-powered internal combustion engine technology would be required... as in, scrapped altogether. These changes are costly to the point of giving automakers a choice: absorb the costs and go bankrupt, or pass the cost on to consumers, who will then hang on to their existing cars, bankrupting the automakers.

People hell bent on polluting? Would that be anybody driving to work or the mall or their moms or Dairy Queen? Damn them for living.

No, that would be people against improving emmision standards for example.

In order to cut the emissions from where they're at now, wholesale changes to the very core of gasoline-powered internal combustion engine technology would be required... as in, scrapped altogether. These changes are costly to the point of giving automakers a choice: absorb the costs and go bankrupt, or pass the cost on to consumers, who will then hang on to their existing cars, bankrupting the automakers.

Where'd you get this information?

Where'd you get this information?

It's common knowledge if you have any experience at all of the IC engine. You need to make one of two changes..

1- A radical change of desgn of the engine...Or

2-Go with a diferent fuel other then a hydrocarbon based oil...

Back