Calling all Europeans!

K62

In 4 months I will be taking a 6ish month leave of absence from work to spend traveling around Europe. I leave early October and plan to backpack as much of Europe as possible. I have $8,000cdn saved up, and by the time I leave $13,000 ish should be no problem at all! (I have lived in barracks for the last year or so, I don't have to pay for a room or food, it's a joke to save money!)

I plan on staying in hostels if need be, but I have signed up for This site which seems like a great idea. Basically staying on peoples couches for a night or so for free.

I will be spending a lot of time in the Netherlands, it's a long story.. but to sum it up, back in January I randomly met a exchange student studying in my home town, Saint John, NB while I was on my Christmas leave. For 5 months or so I was driving From Halifax to SJ every weekend to see her, almost 1000km a weekend. I used up a lot of my leave and took her to Quebec for a week, Halifax for a week.. and spent every second I could with her. She was the most amazing girl I ever met. She left to go back home a few days ago, but I still talk to her everyday.

...... Anyways, I mention this because our plan for me to stay with her while I am there. From the Netherlands, I play to make my multiple week trips to different countries, and return. Also, at the some time my brother will be studying in Norway so I plan to visit him for a few weeks.

The reason I mention all of this is because I am wondering if anyone can recommend some 'must' see places. Countries I will see for sure are.. England, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Norway, and Switzerland. I am interested in military history, so there are many many many places I will visit, particularly in France.. Normandy, Vimy, Dieppe, and many more.

Any tips would be great! Sorry for the long post. I am 22 and will be going alone, if that helps.

tonksy

I would recommend skipping South Hampton...not much to see unless you just want to get drunk. I really regret not going to see Stonehenge so I would recommend that for you.
Cannes was nice - I wish I could have spent more time there. Lotsa sidewalk cafes etc.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
When in Germany I seriously recommend southern Germany...Hamburg and Berlin are good but southern germany is a whole other feel...the small towns rock.

P.S. I need some cough drops from Germany, I bought a pack when I was stopped over in the Frankfurt airport when I was on my way home from Greece...if I send you a pic can you pick me up a few packs? I'll pay for them and the shipping to get them from NB to Ont when you get back in Canada :D

K62

haha yeah! Not a problem. Unless the are ridiculously expensive cough drops, don't worry about it! :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think they were like a euro...they're AWESOME and mine are all gone...but the box is still in my car, I shall take a photo :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Come to America. We'll show you a good time & our streeets are better than theirs (save the Autobahn)

K62

haha, well I have already been all over America. Time for something new. Plus, Chloe doesn't live in America. :)

TexasRaceLady

Go to Paris. Go to the tomb of Napoleon. Behind the tomb is a huge military Musee d' Armee. Absolutely chocked full of military history from centuries back.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you go to France, don't wear your uniform. You aren't ready to take over a country.

K62

haha, I won't be bringing any uniforms! Everything I bring will be on my back most of the time.

Hmmm, I think we could probably take over.... Saint Pierre and Miquelon! ahah.

Ah! thanks for the idear TexasRaceLady! That sounds great!

POStech

Do you like rally's? WRC will be at the following, Spain Oct.5-7, France Oct. 12-15, Ireland Nov. 16-18 & England Nov. 30-Dec. 2.

K62

Got a pic of this Chloe lass?

yes, in fact I do.

DSC04671Small.jpg

Her with Suzy, my car.

DSC04685Small.jpg

ahah, horrible picture, but I love it.

DSC04698Small.jpg

Her with her Dutch friend.

Starya

Ah. Bring an umbrella.

(Never been there myself, so can't help you out as far as sights are concerned.)

K62

Ah, Thanks Starya. The Rain doesn't bother me a bit! Living on the east coast of Canada all my life I am used to wet weather!