Campaign Finance...can you say FUBAR?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
AP: Kerry Considers Delaying Nomination
59 minutes ago
By NEDRA PICKLER and SHARON THEIMER, Associated Press Writers

BOSTON - John Kerry is considering delaying his acceptance of the Democratic presidential nomination at the party's July convention so that he can keep spending the millions of dollars that he raised during the primaries, The Associated Press has learned.

If Kerry were to delay acceptance of his nomination for a month, he would even the playing field with President Bush, who is planning to accept the nomination at the Republican National Convention five weeks later. The party convention would still be held at the end of July, but Kerry would officially accept the nomination at a later date under such a plan.

Kerry and Bush are expected to use federal funding for their general election campaign and will be limited to spending the roughly $75 million in federal funds given to each candidate once they accepts the nomination. At that point, neither candidate would be able to raise or spend private funds.

"We are looking at this and many other options very seriously because we won't fight with one hand behind our back," Kerry spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Friday.

Cutter said other options being considered include having the Democratic National Committee or local and state Democratic parties raise money to support Kerry's candidacy. However, Kerry would not have control of much of the money raised by the party. By law, the DNC cannot coordinate more than roughly $16 million of spending with Kerry's campaign in the general election.

Delaying the nomination would be a dramatic move and is believed to be the first time a candidate would ask his party to reschedule his nomination so he could stop the clock from ticking on his general-election government financing.

Kerry and Bush skipped public financing for the primary-election season, enabling them to spend as much as they wish until their parties officially nominate them at conventions this summer.

Since becoming the party's presumptive nominee in early March, Kerry has broken Democratic fund-raising and spending records. He raised roughly $31 million last month alone, pushing his campaign total to a Democratic record $117 million.

Kerry started May with $28 million in the bank, far less than President Bush's $72 million but still a Democratic record. Bush has raised more than $200 million so far.

Both Kerry and Bush are expected to accept $75 million in full government financing for the general-election phase of their campaigns, which starts for each when he is nominated.

If Kerry is nominated in late July as the party planned, he will have to make his $75 million check last five weeks longer than Bush. Because the Republican convention is timed later than the Democratic gathering, Bush will have about a month more to raise money from private contributors than Kerry.

When the Democratic Party scheduled its convention, it didn't know it would have a nominee who opted out of public financing for the primaries and the $45 million spending limit the program imposes through the spring and summer.

At the time, the party anticipated it would face the same situation it has in previous elections: a nominee who emerged from the primaries hovering at the spending limit and had to limp through several months awaiting the convention and the campaign-sustaining government financing.

Inkara1

And the conventions rented their facilities how many years ago? Funny how he wants to change the rules all of a sudden.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confused: Hes not changing the rules. Its a party decision. And the problem is, the way its set up, its the smart move. They got the whole game fucked up down there. :eh:

Inkara1

I just find it interesting that they set the dates and rent the facilities years in advance, and the whole time intended the nominee to take the nomination at the convention. But now that Kerry's been able to get money raised, now they suddenly want to extend the deadline they set years ago.

Winky

In the coming months,
I promise you will find a lot more interesting things.
brow.gif

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
McCain/Feingold wanted to limit free speech. Kerry, by god, just took it back.

Winky

Holy Cr*p
This guy says this stuff with a straight face?

There is flip flopping' then there's simply being silly!

"We've made no decision, I've made no decision personally, but I'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage to the Republicans,"

so we will break any rules to gain an advantage...

"I'm not going to let silliness in the legal process deprive us of a full contest for the presidency of the United States."

"silliness in the legal process"

Oh that's it, if wasn't clear before you just made it
'crystal' for all of us. The laws are for the other side not us,
after all we are the Democrats and we are above the law.

Yes indeed if elected this guy will make the stuff pulled off
by Carter and Clinton seem like high school pranks.

Woe to the nation

Kerry Says He Won't Let Bush Take Financial Advantage

Winky

I'm not making this stuff up, I couldn't!!!

The latest, GWB crashed his mountain bike on his ranch in mile 16 of a 17 mile ride
gets banged up and of course he jumps back on the bike and finishes.

Most of us recall Kerry's recent biking incident and the ski slope episode.

Which should be the Prez?
Easy choice!

ResearchMonkey

Squiggy said:
:confused: Hes not changing the rules. Its a party decision. And the problem is, the way its set up, its the smart move. They got the whole game fucked up down there. :eh:

No, the smart move would have been to better planed your teams process.

If he/them can't plan an election to include sound financial planning, well . . .

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
How about a late term veto. The law is stupid. It must be followed bt it is stupid.

ResearchMonkey

Some great sound bites, shows strength and leadership. Until you put them together and see beyond the moment. He is again on bothsides.

The News said:
McCain/Feingold wanted to limit free speech. Kerry, by god, just took it back.

John F'n Kerry said:
"I'm not going to let silliness in the legal process deprive us of a full contest for the presidency of the United States."

Mr Kerry, how did you vote on the McCain/Feingold issue.

John F'n Kerry said:

So . . . he voted for McCain/Feingold before he was against it.

Law = Silly, a matter of liberal convenience.

(we won't even go into the 527 issues)

ResearchMonkey

Truly in league with the common man. Works hard, plays hard.

How many purple hearts would those be worth in a combat zone?