Canadians don't say aboot

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
....and the difference between a canadian and a canoe is that a canoe tips and a canadian don't.

Some of us tip....and some of us say aboot.

Usually like this.

"What is that floating in the lake?"

"Aboot."

paul_valaru said:
Some of us tip....and some of us say aboot.

Usually like this.

"What is that floating in the lake?"

"Aboot."

You need to clean out that lake if it's got boots floating in it...

But we MUST have our stereotypes, right?

I saw a shirt in a store this weekend I almost bought. "Hike faster...I hear banjo music!" Hell, I thought it was funny.

Not really, I speak English with a South African accent, but I don't have an Afrikaans accent when I speak. Have been told I speak Afrikaans well for an English person :rolleyes:

(In response to Winky's theory of me sounding Dutch....not sure why I would sound Dutch, as I am Afrikaans and people who sound Dutch are from a completely different country and continent)

it comes out like... ab-a-oot, instead of a-bowt. To the naked ear, it sounds like aboot.
So yeah, like...I'm talking abaoot the boots a-uut there!!!

I have to make an extreme effort to say abowt, and sometimes I just can't.

I rally don't no nuthin' abowt Afrikaans perhaps you'd edumahcate us?

Guess you're more African than one would discern from your pho-toes?

Of course I am completely African...but ssshh - don't let Gato hear, he thinks only black people are African :p

If I had a microphone I'd record something for you, but alas you'd just have to take my word for it and that of forumites whom I have spoken to (except Paul - he thinks I sound like the devil or some such).

(Methinks Rob is possibly the only who has actually heard me speak Afrikaans).

Haha - was it you that told me I sound a lot more 'girly' in Afrikaans?

I do remember the complete lack of understanding from both sides (the accents just threw both of us).

Man....good times :D

Your voice was much more girly than I imagined period. Very high and young sounding....and I couldn't understand a thing you said! Maybe you weren't speaking Afrikaans! :D

Back