Canadians don't say aboot

Possibly not - according to Paul I sounded like I was summoning the devil (I was stoned and talking about pizza...I think), so it's possible that I was screeching something banshee-ish.

Good few years ago - methinks the voice has chaged a lot since the frogs took up residence in my throat.

When I was in Toronto, I knew a not-Afrikaans speaking South African. He was the precisest speaker I've ever met. Every single syllable was measured and correct and proper. It was almost disconcerting.

Leslie said:
When I was in Toronto, I knew a not-Afrikaans speaking South African. He was the precisest speaker I've ever met. Every single syllable was measured and correct and proper. It was almost disconcerting.

Was he English speaking or from one of the other language groups? Strangely I've heard from many people that Canadians find it difficult to understand South Africans at the best of times. Not sure why?

English speaking. Family was from India, but he was born and grew up there. I understood him...just felt like I had to focus on everything word he said because it was so calm and precise. Really commanded the attention.

Maybe that's it. Maybe a lot of us just don't focus well :lloyd:

Yeah....sad but true. I for one don't understand heavy British accents - it's like they're from a different planet or something.

Aah, this brings back memories of the days a long time ago when I was sitting in a room with a bunch of people, listening to different accents and pegging them down on my exam sheet..

Leslie said:

I've had 2 friends from South Africa. One sounded like that - very well enunciated, and precise. Beautiful voice, correct, precise, etc, etc. The other friend, a work colleague, sounded dutch (and being half dutch, I know my dutch accents). Does it perhaps depend on what area they are from?
:confused:

Well, the reason for this thread was that I received a visit from a neighbours we had like 10 years ago, they are from Calgary.

I just had to ask :D

Back