Cancer sucks

BeardofPants said:
Well, they've taken him off the antibiotics, and they ain't draining him, so yeah, nothing more they can do. He's not going to live out the week, according to the doctors.

Thanks again for all the support. It helps.

:( hang in there, and remember doctors are not always right. My grandpa was told he would likely die in two weeks and kept on kicking for over a year.

I'm so sorry BoP. It brings back a lot of memories for me to hear about all this. I can take a couple of days to more than a week, depending on the person. Just be strong! Both my grandparents held on for quite a few days even after all was stopped except the morphine to keep them comfortable.

When the fluid keeps getting into the lungs, it's not a good sign. Amid your sadness, try to focus on positive memories, and how you don't want him to suffer. Cheap words I know, but it's about all I got right now. Never an easy process.

Chin up. Brighter days ahead.

At this stage, I'm more worried about my oma, than about me. They've been married 53 years, and she's taking it really hard. They've got him dosed on morphine, and heavily sedated, cos when he's awake, the wily bugger keeps trying to escape to go home. (don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one.)

Then why isn't he at home? I'd rather die comfortable, near my stuff & in my house, than anywhere the medical commuity could throw together?

It doesn't matter anymore - he died this morning. My mother tried to call me early this morning, but as per usual, I didn't hear the fucking phone.

I'm so sorry, hun...but at least he isn't in pain anymore. I wish that could offer you some comfort.

So am I. I'm gonna miss the old fart. Even in the end he was a perverse fucker. He kept setting off the drip beeper thing cos he kept occluding the tube. I straightened his arm out and stopped the beeping, he gave me that shit-eating grin, and deliberately bent his arm again.

Just saw this.
I grieve for you loss BoP. :(

Professur said:
They gave Cat's dad hours to live. That was about 6 months ago, wasn't it Cat?
yep, it was different from some types of cancer though.

BeardofPants said:
It doesn't matter anymore - he died this morning. My mother tried to call me early this morning, but as per usual, I didn't hear the fucking phone.

Of course it matters. *hug* I'm not gonna snowjob ya with "He's not in pain anymore" Or "he went quick". Not even with "He's in a better place". Only "His time's done. Now go on deal with the loss, and remember what he'd done." You're in pain now, and so are the rest of your family. If you weren't, it would mean that you didn't care, and he didn't matter. The more it hurts just goes to prove how much you loved him. Remember his smile, his laugh, and his hugs.

Professur said:
Of course it matters. *hug* I'm not gonna snowjob ya with "He's not in pain anymore" Or "he went quick". Not even with "He's in a better place". Only "His time's done. Now go on deal with the loss, and remember what he'd done." You're in pain now, and so are the rest of your family. If you weren't, it would mean that you didn't care, and he didn't matter. The more it hurts just goes to prove how much you loved him. Remember his smile, his laugh, and his hugs.

Professur said:

My sincerest condolensces BoP. Like Prof said, remember the good times. It will get easier on the family and your oma will get better in time as well. Women tend to be quite strong through tough times. My prayers go out to you and your family. :sadhug:

Back