Car hunting

Inkara1 said:
Oh, another heads-up, besides the dome light thing... he just sunk $250 into replacing all four oxygen sensors, plus whatever the Ford-specific tool cost him. He did the work himself, so no labor costs. After that, the check engine light still comes on.

I'd look into getting a Ram with a Hemi, myself... it looks better, and if I'm only going to get 14 miles to the gallon, I at least want 340 horsepower. :D
He still has to get the codes reset.

Inkara1 said:
the check engine light still comes on.
Just changing the O2 sensors won't make the light go out. It MUST be driven for 50-80 miles before it will recognize the new O2 sensors.

majestyx said:
Just changing the O2 sensors won't make the light go out. It MUST be driven for 50-80 miles before it will recognize the new O2 sensors.
The onboard computer stores the codes. They have to be reset as well. Note that Mitchell on Demand (our automotive tech software) says that you have to drive 200 miles after having the codes reset in my Contour. :shrug:

Yes. You must reset the codes (for the light to go out) and then drive the car for at least a week under normal conditions for the data to be accurate (2 is better).

How do I know this? Because Atlanta emissions inspections are controlled by the onboard (OBD) computers, and my last car was twitchy in this area. I learned far more than I ever really wanted to know.

I think he reset it, but I'd have to ask him if he did. I know he bought the code reader; I'm not sure if the reader will do resets or not.

I believe you can simply disconnect the neg battery terminal for a fairly long period to do that. I may incorrect, though.

I was about to say

"I always take the Olds deer-hunting"

But the thread isn't about that.

However, I can give you another Mazda reccomendation. Had an '89 Mazda MX-6. It was a very high quality automobile. It wasn't too great for gas mileage, but I think a lot of it was because gas evaporated out of the holes in the gas tank. The previous owners and I beat the living hell out of that thing. For about 4 years, it was not driven at all, just sitting in a driveway, rusting and falling apart. The exhaust manifold had more holes than swiss cheese. The reason it passed emissions inspection was that all of the blue oil smoke came out of the hood or in the holes in the pipes, none made it to the tailpipe. Actually, the metal on the outside of the muffler rusted off completely, so it made more noise than a riced-out Honda. They stuck the thing in the tailpipe and said 'Well, the emissions are fine' as blue smoke came out of the hood. That's the beauty of private inspections. We agreed to have the gasket on the engine head replaced for like $100 in their shop, so they were, shall we say, lenient while inspecting. That was the other thing, the engine leaked a ton of oil. There was a huge crack in the windshield too. The interior smelled very strongly of gasoline. We looked at the transmission fluid and it was so bad that we were advised not to bother even trying to changing it. I kept a few quarts of the oil in the trunk and dumped it in the engine from time to time.

Never once did it break down, despite taking it on 6 hour road trips. Right when I got it, it wouldn't start at all. I took apart the whole air intake system (it had fuel injection), tried to fish a coat hanger through it to check for a clog, got the coat hanger stuck, spent like two hours trying to get it out. By then it was well past midnight, but once it was all back together, it started. Was really loud and stalled instantly. Put it on a battery charger overnight and it ran fine. That was in June '05. Between then and getting rid of it in Feb '06, I never had a single problem. Beautiful vehicle.

mazdafront.jpg

HomeLAN said:
I believe you can simply disconnect the neg battery terminal for a fairly long period to do that. I may incorrect, though.

yep, disconnect the battery for a spell,

HomeLAN said:
I've heard that only works on OBD-I, not OBD-II. Not sure though. Where's Kruz when we need him? ;)

Got a 1992 Camry LE, silver. It's got everything I was looking for: 4 doors, 4 cylinders, airbags and air conditioning. It needs a new windshield washer resivoir and the A/C needs to be charged, but otherwise it's in wonderful condition and drives beautifully. Pictures later.

rrfield said:
shoulda got one of these
smartcar.jpg

I saw one of those on the highway the other day. I know they're safe in terms of a collision but I'd still be scared. Truck drivers seem to have a hard enough time seeing people in regualr sized cars...

rrfield said:
shoulda got one of these
smartcar.jpg

I saw one of those on the highway the other day. I know they're safe in terms of a collision but I'd still be scared. Truck drivers seem to have a hard enough time seeing people in regualr sized cars...the other day I could FULLY see the guy's face in the mirror...which means he shoulda been able to see me and he STILL started coming into my lane, I honked my horn (I was fairly far up the truck, not like I could just slow down and let him in) and he STILL kept coming. Luckily the guy kinda beside-ish me in the next lane back off and I pulled out in that lane just in time. But if the other guy hadn't slowed down to let me in either I'da been into his side of the truck woulda been into mine...

I just had a truck do a very similar thing. There's a multi-lane intersection of two big roads on my way to work. There was a truck coming from the other direction, stopped, with the left turn signal on. The way traffic works is that the lights are left-only for both lanes for about 15 seconds, then straight/right-only for about 30. I was going straight and had the green. As I enter the intersection, about 20 feet from him, going 30mph, he goes. Luckily, I was towards the end of the light (as I left the intersection the light went yellow) and it wasn't rush hour, so there wasn't anyone in the lane next to me (I was in the middle lane, truck was in the left-turning lane facing me, right lane was empty) and I swerved to my right in time to avoid it, but if it had been busier traffic, I would have smashed up somebody's car real bad.

Complete with GIF

ahahaha I love the effort you put into it! I didn't expect it to be animated when I opened it! (I didn't read the "complete with gif" part)

Back