Car Question

HomeLAN

I found this data for one car, but not the other.

Does a 1999 Ford Tuarus Wagon with the larger V6 have a timing belt or a chain, and either way, when do I need to replace it?

TIA.

pretty sure a chain... and yes... i would change it at 80k-100k... not that expensive, and the car is undrivable if it ever fails

Tried to call the service manager, but evidently he's asleep or away from his desk.

Oh...and if you do need to change it..see if theres anything else that might need work on the engine. They might have to take it partially apart to change the belt and that means gaskets and time. While they're down there, they might as well look at other things :D

Okay, just looked on the repair estimator. I assume you would have said SHO if it was one, so I'm guessing no overhead cams. It's got a chain, no tensioner. There is no recommendation on changing it, but the senior mechanic says if it's got more than 75,000 he'd change it. He also says it's fairly easy to change, but that may simply be from his POV. Note that if it does have the overhead cams he says he'd still change it, but they're a lot harder to do yourself. Hope that helps, at least until Kruz sticks his head in here. :D

Does your Taurus sound like a UFO spinning down when you shut it off too? My parents have a '99 Taurus sedan with the same 24V Duratec V6, and that's what it sounds like.

I assume you have the 3.8 or 3.0 pushrod (not overhead cam) engine.. if so, then there are no factory recommended change intervals. and these are "non-interfierance" engines.. meaning that if the chain breaks the pistons won't hit the valves ,causing damage. when the chain starts to wear badly, you may hear metalic noise from the engine.. it's not uncommon for them to go 200,000 miles before breaking or needing replacement.

If it's a '99, it wouldn't have the 3.8 motor. I'm thinking "larger" V6 means "more powerful" since it's not actually bigger; both are 3.0L.

Kruz said:
I assume you have the 3.8 or 3.0 pushrod (not overhead cam) engine.. if so, then there are no factory recommended change intervals. and these are "non-interfierance" engines.. meaning that if the chain breaks the pistons won't hit the valves ,causing damage. when the chain starts to wear badly, you may hear metalic noise from the engine.. it's not uncommon for them to go 200,000 miles before breaking or needing replacement.

Right. Thank you once again, dude.

Now I just gotta figure out how much to save up for on the 96 Avenger. That bitch is overdue.

HomeLAN said:
Right. Thank you once again, dude.

Now I just gotta figure out how much to save up for on the 96 Avenger. That bitch is overdue.

Chrysler sebring, (same as Avenger). has a 100,000 mile timing belt change interval. for both the 2.0 (4), and 2.5 (v6) engines.

(if you give me the last 9 numbers of the VIN, I can check and see what recalls have not been done yet.)
*and if you ever need to take it to a dealer you can trust, let me know*

It's the same 100K for the 2.0 SOHC in the Neon (2000), right?

Can you check the recalls on a California-registered Neon, with the last 9 digits of the VIN being 0YD870720?

Inkara1 said:

Can you check the recalls on a California-registered Neon, with the last 9 digits of the VIN being 0YD870720?

Hey Inky Dodge recall
VIN Number:
1B3ES46C0 YD870720 Vehicle Description:
DODGE NEON FOUR-DOOR SEDAN Model Year:

No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist

Inkara1 said:

For "normal" service it's 105,000 miles.
For "severe" service it's 60,000 miles

the only recall that pertains to your vehicle is the brake booster hose.
the other is for ice forming in the PCV system (not for California) :lol2:

Hey, I don't know about Dodge, but most manufacturers seem to think driving your car daily (commute, stop and go, A/C on, etc.) is "severe" service. I try to err on the side of caution myself.

How old is the recall on the booster hose? I got the car in May 2003, so maybe it was taken care of before I got it.

I'm probably closer to severe than normal, which would mean I'm about 7,000 miles overdue. Hopefully I have some time before the belt breaks on me.

The Dodge dealer in Fresno told me $460 to get the belt changed... and that doesn't include the cost of changing the water pump, which he said I should do at the same time because the timing belt also drives that.

Inkara1 said:
How old is the recall on the booster hose? I got the car in May 2003, so maybe it was taken care of before I got it.

I'm probably closer to severe than normal, which would mean I'm about 7,000 miles overdue. Hopefully I have some time before the belt breaks on me.

The Dodge dealer in Fresno told me $460 to get the belt changed... and that doesn't include the cost of changing the water pump, which he said I should do at the same time because the timing belt also drives that.

when I enter a vin number in the databese it only brings up recalls that have not been done yet, it may have been done by an independent shop and never registered.
yes; when you have the timing replaced, do the waterpump as well. one less thing to worry about down the road.
"and I don't know ANYONE who falls under normal service" :)

Back