Cell Phone Warns About Sexual Predators

MrBishop

When 11-year-old Jessica Lunsford was kidnapped and murdered last year, Joe Dawson immediately began gathering signatures to enact stricter penalties for registered sex offenders. Now, Dawson is teaming up with a California-based technology firm to introduce the first cell phone that uses the Global Positioning System to alert parents when a child is walking near a sexual predator's home.

CATS Communication Inc. allows parents to build a "geofence" around every listed child predator that lives within their ZIP code. The phone alerts parents through an e-mail, text message or pager if their child enters that zone, said the company's vice president, Jon Kudla.

Linked with the Family Watchdog's national database of registered sex offenders, the phone will update with new zones every time the a new name is added to the database.

"It's important for parents to know when their children are interacting near those people," said Kudla, a father of three.

The feature, which hits the market in the next 60 days, costs $19.99 a month for the first phone and $9.99 for each additional phone. It's part of Cat Trax, a Nextel wireless phone CATS introduced last year with capabilities to track kids with a GPS chip.

Other products, like Wherifone and Teen Arrive Alive, also help parents keep tabs on their children's whereabouts and driving habits — for example, how fast a teen is driving on the highway.

But CATS Communication is the first company to add the sexual predator component, said industry analyst Will Strauss of Forward Concepts. Small companies using GPS systems to cater to niche markets "are coming out of the woodwork," said Strauss, allowing consumers to locate everything from Chinese restaurants to a lost Alzheimer's patient.

Dawson, who lives in Jessica's hometown of Homosassa, was ultimately successful in getting the Jessica Lunsford Act passed.

Source

Assuming that your kid has a cel phone with GPS. I'm thinking that if anything, this'll be a real eye opener for those people walking around blindly thinking that child-rape and molesters aren't 'in our neighbourhood'.

Considering the size of the sexual predators list in any given neighbourhood...that cel phone warning will be going off every damn minute.

Cool. Next year we can begin implanting locater/ID chips, like dogs are required to have in some states, in our children. Then all will be well.

Nah...RFID chips are already here.

Next...stores will begin using video face recognition programs to recognize customers as they enter the store. Matched with sales records based on credit card/interac patterns and a wee bit of help from the c/card companies...stores will be able to give you ads to your on-cart vidscreen based on your past purchasing history.

One of my son's friend's moms called me last week.

To tell me that her husband (whom she's in the midst of divorcing) is a pedophile, and that the days when the son is at the dad's house (apparently as the fucker prefers girls this isn't enough to lose custody!!!!!), that I should make sure the boys play here or that my son at least isn't over at the father's house. Noone knew about this until this year, when he was caught at (whatever it was, I didn't ask) and got a few months in jail.

a) that was uber brave and kind of the mother to call out of the blue and let me know as soon as he left jail and the boy started having to go there again.
b) all the technology in the world won't stop this shit happening. Just gotta know where the kids are, and who with, and try and have some faith.

Gonz said:
Cool. Next year we can begin implanting locater/ID chips, like dogs are required to have in some states, in our children. Then all will be well.

That is already going on.

To tell me that her husband (whom she's in the midst of divorcing) is a pedophile, and that the days when the son is at the dad's house (apparently as the fucker prefers girls this isn't enough to lose custody!!!!!), that I should make sure the boys play here or that my son at least isn't over at the father's house. Noone knew about this until this year, when he was caught at (whatever it was, I didn't ask) and got a few months in jail.

Any way to confirm that? That's a pretty common accusation in nasty divorces.

HomeLAN said:
Any way to confirm that? That's a pretty common accusation in nasty divorces.

The kid is now saying it too. I guess now it's out he can confide in his friend :eh: and the dad was in jail.

When I worked for Nextel we used the GPS tracking as a selling tool for business owners to track their company trucks, see personal stops, see when the delivery gate was opened and at what address (for unauthorized beer delivery for example), but I never thought it would come to this! Puts a serious realization on "big brother is watching".

Leslie said:
The kid is now saying it too. I guess now it's out he can confide in his friend :eh: and the dad was in jail.

If he is a child molestor, then off with his head. If he's the victim of nasty divorce tactics, off with her, and her lawyer's heads. I've seen, first-hand, how those tactics are used, and the custodial parent is usually the one to bring it up...

Gato_Solo said:
If he is a child molestor, then off with his head. If he's the victim of nasty divorce tactics, off with her, and her lawyer's heads. I've seen, first-hand, how those tactics are used, and the custodial parent is usually the one to bring it up...

I say lets proceed with a preemptive strike and get them all just incase.

better safe than sorry :grinyes:

The problem here is that it sounds as though it would only warn parents if the kids walk past the predator's house... not past the predator, who might leave the house occasionally.

As for the GPS on a cell phone, it's never completely off. It has to be able to transmit location when you call 911. On my phone, you can set it to 911 only or all the time.

matrix.gif

They're watching our every move.

Inkara1 said:
The problem here is that it sounds as though it would only warn parents if the kids walk past the predator's house... not past the predator, who might leave the house occasionally.

As for the GPS on a cell phone, it's never completely off. It has to be able to transmit location when you call 911. On my phone, you can set it to 911 only or all the time.

On mine, you can do on, 911 only, or OFF.

Leslie said:

Easy to have someone thrown in jail on an accusation, particularly in this area.

I'm not saying it isn't true, and if it were my kid, I'd take precautions. I'm just saying that under the circumstances, I'd take it with a grain of salt until I saw something more than the soon-to-be-ex's word.

The kid is telling my son that there is a court order barring the father from being around any kids under 16 barring his own.

That's good enough for me.

Leslie said:
The kid is telling my son that there is a court order barring the father from being around any kids under 16 barring his own.

That's good enough for me.

Because we all know a piece of paper stops crime.

Back