Chicken Shit Catapult Illegal in UK

valkyrie

Businessman burgled after being banned from using giant catapult
An eccentric businessman who set up a 30ft dung-firing catapult on his land to deter intruders has been burgled after police warned him that it would be illegal for him to use the weapon.

Joe Weston-Webb, a former travelling showman who also owns a human cannon and an "exploding coffin", decided to adopt such an unorthodox method of protecting his property last year after a series of break-ins and an arson attack.

The catapult, based on the design of a Roman boulder-throwing ballista, was originally built for a series of unsuccessful attempts to fire his wife, Mary, across the River Avon in 1976 during a colourful career as a stuntman. He gave up after one attempt in which she made it to the opposite bank only to be bounced back into the river by a safety net.

<<snippety snip>>

But following a series of attacks by vandals on his company, Grumpy Joe, in Ratcliffe-on-Soar, Notts, he restored the rusty catapult and equipped it to fire bags of chicken droppings at intruders if an alarm was triggered.

He also spoke of loading his cannon with railway sleepers or adapting it to work like a laser gun.

His eccentric methods attracted media attention as well as a warning from Nottinghamshire Police that using the giant catapult would be illegal as it did not constitute "reasonable force".

But now his business had been targeted by thieves again.

Burglars vandalised his workshop and stole cutting equipment, a plasma screen television and a laptop among other goods during the break-in on Monday night.

Mr Weston-Webb estimates that the combined bill for damage and stolen property could amount to £10,000.

He said that his private CCTV cameras picked up a figure entering the premises at about 11.15pm but the catapult was not primed following the police warning.

"It is ridiculous that we are in this situation now in which we can't defend ourselves," he said.

He is now threatening to ignore the warning and reactivate the catapult in the face of what he believes is a vendetta.

"We've seen where listening to them gets you," he said.

"They warned me off, and the result is that my business has been smashed to bits by yobs."

<<snippety snip>>

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: "The law allows homeowners to protect themselves and their property with reasonable force if they are under threat from an intruder.

"However the reasonable force must be proportionate to the threat.

"The setting up of booby traps is outside the scope of the law and is something Nottinghamshire Police would advise against."

A citizen can't even defend his/her own property with a catapult loaded with chicken shit! What has this world come to?

And this, my friends... is why me (and my guns) could never live in the UK.

A citizen can't even defend his/her own property with a catapult loaded with chicken shit! What has this world come to?

And this, my friends... is why me (and my guns) could never live in the UK.

There is no level of self defense that is not considered an offensive act in Britain. Check out what happened to TONY MARTIN after he defended his property during a "hot" (occupied dwelling) burglary wherein he killed one burglar and wounded the other.

Farmer guilty of murdering burglar

Wounded burglar wins right to sue Tony Martin

Wounded burglar sues Martin

Burglar wounded by Tony Martin is freed three days before him

Tony Martin today: 'I'd shoot the vermin again': Ten years after he murdered a teenage burglar, Tony Martin remains defiant

And when they tried to add a "castle doctrine" style law that would protect homeowners who defend their homes, this was the result:

'Tony Martin law' is blocked

A proposal to give householders greater rights to forcibly tackle burglars has been blocked by the government.

I have more examples of self defense being elevated to a criminal act but this one says it all.

Carrying an umbrella, cane, penknife, etc for self defense is considered carrying an offensive weapon in the UK.

He gave up after one attempt in which she made it to the opposite bank only to be bounced back into the river by a safety net.

That one elicited an involuntary guffaw. :lol2:

what kinda guns you got there? *wink*
I was gonna post a booby shakin' smilie but apparently there are none for this board. ;)

But seriously... here's what we have...
.357 revolver
.44 magnum lever action rifle
Chinese SKS
.22 revolver
Marlin .22 rifle
Bikal clip fed 12 gauge shot gun
Berretta .380 auto pistol

hmmmm... I think I've named everything.

I will tell you that that Chinese SKS is HEAVY!!! Shit it's heavy! I can't imagine some underfed Chinese foot soldier running around carrying that thing.

I was gonna post a booby shakin' smilie but apparently there are none for this board. ;)

But seriously... here's what we have...
.357 revolver
.44 magnum lever action rifle
Chinese SKS
.22 revolver
Marlin .22 rifle
Bikal clip fed 12 gauge shot gun
Berretta .380 auto pistol

hmmmm... I think I've named everything.

I will tell you that that Chinese SKS is HEAVY!!! Shit it's heavy! I can't imagine some underfed Chinese foot soldier running around carrying that thing.

If its a Norinco it has a milled receiver rather than a POS stamped unit like the Russians and Yugos. The Milled receiver firearms are the most desirable.

I had a Norinco and it was a fun firearm to shoot. It was also quite accurate for being so loosely assembled. Everything on that thing had rattley clearances.

I don't know enough about it to say. It's my hubby's gun.

Are there any Brits on this board? I'd like to know why the UK frowns so much on self-defense.
Really... this is not an attack. I just want to know what these laws are based on.

Aunty Em would be the only Brit who comes here with any sort of regularity, and it's not that regular, and I can't think of any time in memory she's posted in the RW forum.

I don't know enough about it to say. It's my hubby's gun.

Are there any Brits on this board? I'd like to know why the UK frowns so much on self-defense.
Really... this is not an attack. I just want to know what these laws are based on.

Last name "Peel". Will that do?

I've been studying this for many years and it is a phenomenon driven by their wishing to appear "civilized". The firearms bans were followed up by the logical illogic of knife bans, bat bans, offensive weapons bans, and finally the banning of offensive behavior.

Every few years they have the obligatory weapons turn in programs during which they receive tens of thousands of firearms from people waiting for the next turn in.

After the Dunblane school massacre Britain decided that anything that can place a lead pellet into a distant target should be banned. They proceeded to go through the registration lists of those who had registered their firearms and dutifully ordered all firearms turned in forthwith. The British Olympics Team asked for, and was denied, dispensation for their firearms. The government ordered them to remove their firearms from the country and all practice shooting was to be conducted outside the country.

In the meantime, a teenager decided that he would show the government that it was fruitless to confiscate firearms because Britons could simply make their own from common materials. He designed and built a 9mm sub gun and was promptly arrested for his efforts. Paladin Press has a book which details plans on how to build a sub gun from common household items with minimal machining.

During the confiscation, many rare and valuable collector firearms were destroyed and the government has yet to pay the people who turned them in. There was no consideration for the worth or historical significance of any firearms nor the preservation of same in museums. They were all simply destroyed en masse.

In thew meantime, Britons continue to kill one another in the most entertaining and ingenious ways.

I had a friend that had an sks, and I bought a british 303 at the time.
I had to get rid of the 303. It was so loud the neighbors complained in a newly built subdivision.
That was near 20 years ago.

OMG! I just shot a .50 caliber rifle... holy shit! That was awesome!

Oh, and yes... I hit my target, of course. :evilcool: If you need a target taken out, I'm your girl.

Back