collectors?

unclehobart

Coins, stamps, baseball cards... anyone collect anything that there is a market for? Whats your most valuable item?

I thought as much because I just read this:

Dog Walker Discovers a Penny Worth Thousands

Fri Sep 10, 8:40 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A routine walk with his dog turned into a profitable excursion for one man, who discovered a 1,200-year-old gold penny during the stroll and now expects to sell it for thousands of pounds.

The coin was discovered on a public footpath beside the River Ivel in Bedfordshire, England. It is the first new Anglo-Saxon gold penny to come to light in nearly a century and the only known gold coin with the name of Coenwulf -- a king who ruled over the central English region of Mercia.

London auctioneers Spink estimate the coin will sell for 120,000-150,000 pounds ($214,100-267,700) when it goes under the hammer in October. But Richard Bishop, an auctioneer at Spink, said the coin's excellent condition might help the price rise beyond the top estimate.

"It's obviously going to be far in excess of anything that the average guy would expect to find when he's out walking his dog," said Bishop.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=4&u=/nm/20040910/od_nm/odd_britain_coin_dc

A 1939 Rupert the Bear Story Book called "More Little Bear Stories", which is worth £450 that I bought at a garden sale for £0.10.

oops! i just realized i forgot to buy a canada sticker to label my new box of canadian beer caps! gee...i wonder if i have any canadian friends who will help me in this my moment of need?

i collect copies of "alice's adventures in wonderland" and "through the looking glass" by Lewis Carroll. i usually only go after ones with the original John Tenniel illustrations, but i have one or two that were given to me as gifts that have alternative illustrators.
hmm... guess i should mention that i think i have about 30 copies now.
i have a few that don't have dates in them, but the oldest one that i have with a date is from 1932. i don't know if that copy is worth much, as its spine is taped together and it's generally in not-so-great condition, but i don't have any immediate plans to sell, anyway.
i'd really love to get my hands on one that is from 1899 or before. "adventures" was published in 1865, and "looking glass" in 1872, but the first editions are, understandably, SO hard to find. i've looked. and when you do find one, it's way expensive. so i've compromised with myself that if i can get one with "18" as the first two digits in the date, i can stop looking for old.
a fair number of mine, however, are very new. paperbacks bought off of bookstore shelves not more than a couple of years ago (i really started collecting when i was 14 or so, and i'm 18 now). and let me tell you, it's funny to go to your local bookstore, find their selection of "alice"s, and be able to say, "hmm, i don't need to buy any of those editions because i own them already". :D
i love looking in used bookstores, tho. you find really interesting ones there.
ebay is also good. for my 16th birthday, many of my gifts were alice related, including books, and my mom found them on ebay.
also, when i was in europe a couple of weeks ago, i made it a point to find a copy of the book in german. i succeeded :)

so, as i said, i don't plan to sell my collection. i just like collecting it, and i enjoy the variations between editions.
yay alice!

tonksy said:
oops! i just realized i forgot to buy a canada sticker to label my new box of canadian beer caps! gee...i wonder if i have any canadian friends who will help me in this my moment of need?

I'll hook ya up

Is it just a sticker of a flag you're after?? I'm going out shopping tomorrow so I'll have a look see if I can get ya one :)

PM me your addy so I can send it :)

I used to buy Stephen King books, to read. Then just to collect hardcovers. I have a few first editions, one of them under his pen name before he was discovered. Those are worth about $250. each.

I have a bunch of state quarters I'm collecting, when I remember kind of thing. As of the last time I got the list of quarters released, I'm missing: CT, DE, TN, VT and Missouri.

I would love to get a Canadian gold coin, it's the purest gold coin in circulation and just gorgeous. But it's also very expensive. We talked about sending currency through the mail for each of the members in different countries here but it never happened.

Now I just collect Swarovski crystal which I usually get as gifts. My most expensive piece is puffins which my best friend got me for doing in-house dog sitting for a week. It's worth $160. now but will be worth more when they stop manufacturing it.

I used to collect coins back in the day when I was a kid. Comic books as well. Just 'ghost rider' and 'punisher', though.

I have no idea the value of any of it.

I've got a few coins that my grandma gave me, never really checked them out in the books but they're all american, I think the oldest is an 1896.

I've got some Hot Wheels in the boxes still from the late seventies. Used to have six, now I have four. My oldest discovered those when he was three or four. Thought I had gotten him a present. Haven't told him yet what he did, figured I'd save that for a good guilt trip later in life.

Also have a few arrowheads, mostly that I've dug out of caves or sifted out of fields myself. Never had those priced either. That's about it. I can't say that I would call myself a collector in any of it, just stuff I've saved through the years.

I don't really collect anything either. Nothing's really struck my fancy. I do, however, have a PayPal account, so maybe I could collect donations. :angel:

Rose said:
I collect dust. Dirty dishes. Laundry. :(
I have a marvelous collection of dust bunnies back behind the cabling under my desk. I'd vacuum them out but I think they may have a nascent civilization growing under there.

Back