Columbia shatters during re-entry

Rick Husband had just one other space flight under his belt before he was given the role of commander. "I think a lot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time, for starters," Husband, a 45-year-old Air Force colonel from Amarillo, Texas, said during a preflight interview. The former test pilot was selected as an astronaut in 1994 on his fourth try. Space flight was his lifelong passion, along with singing. Husband, a baritone, had barbershop quartet experience and sang in church choirs.

William McCool said one of the most nerve-racking parts of training was learning to draw blood — from others. Columbia’s two pilots were exempted from invasive medical tests in orbit, like blood draws. That meant he and his commander had to draw blood from their crewmates. McCool felt bad practicing on volunteers. "I didn’t want to inflict pain," he said before the flight. The former Navy test pilot became an astronaut in 1996. This was the first space flight for McCool, 41, who grew up in Lubbock, Texas.

Michael Anderson loved flying, both in aircraft and spacecraft, but he disliked being launched. "There’s always that unknown," he said before the flight. Anderson, 43, the son of an Air Force man, grew up on military bases. He was flying for the Air Force when NASA chose him in 1994 as one of only a handful of black astronauts. He traveled to Russia’s Mir space station in 1998. He was a lieutenant colonel and in charge of Columbia’s dozens of experiments. His hometown was Spokane, Wash

Kalpana Chawla wanted to design aircraft when she emigrated to the United States from India in the 1980s. The space program was the furthest thing from her mind. But "one thing led to another," the 41-year-old engineer said, and she was chosen as an astronaut in 1994. On her only other space flight, in 1996, Chawla made mistakes that sent a satellite tumbling out of control, and two spacewalkers had to go out and capture it. Some saw this flight as her chance to redeem herself.

David Brown was a Navy novelty: a jet pilot as well as a doctor. He was also probably the only NASA astronaut to have worked as a circus acrobat. (It was a summer job during college.) He said what he learned about "the teamwork and the safety and the staying focused" carried over to his space job. He joined the Navy after his medical internship, and held a captain's rank. NASA chose him as an astronaut in 1996. This was the 46-year-old Virginia native's first space flight.

Laurel Clark, a Navy physician who worked undersea, likened Columbia's numerous launch delays to a marathon in which the finish line kept moving out five miles. "You’ve got to slow back down and maintain a pace," she said. The 41-year-old Clark was a diving medical officer aboard submarines and then a naval flight surgeon. She became an astronaut in 1996. Clark's chief task was to help with Columbia’s science experiments. Her hometown was Racine, Wis.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel’s air force, was the first Israeli to be launched into space. His mother and grandmother survived the Auschwitz death camp. Like his Zionist father, the astronaut fought for his country, in the Yom Kippur War in 1973 and the Lebanon War in 1982. He took part in the 1981 air strike that destroyed an Iraqi nuclear reactor. Ramon, 48, was selected as an astronaut in 1997 and moved to Houston in 1998 to train for a flight. He called Tel Aviv home.

Ever notice that if you say the shuttle was destroyed, it hurts less than to say that 7 people died in a shuttle accident?

Professur said:
Ever notice that if you say the shuttle was destroyed, it hurts less than to say that 7 people died in a shuttle accident?

Did you listen to NASA's press conference? An official & a former shuttle pilot both spoke & they were choking back tears.

Gonz said:
Professur said:

Did you listen to NASA's press conference? An official & a former shuttle pilot both spoke & they were choking back tears.

No, I avoided it. I'd rather get the dry facts later.

I used to be able to deal with stuff like this better. I was watching a bit on CNN a couple of minutes ago and had to stop after they were talking about Ilan Ramon. His mother had a drawing that a 10 year old boy had drawn before he perished in Auschwitz and Ilan took it with him on the shuttle. That was his first time in space.

They were so close. :crying3:

A sad day for the space program indeed! I wish all faimilies the best and send them my deepest regrets. :crying5:
Now although this was a sad day for NASA its also a day of confusion for them because thier has been conflicting reports from inside nasa that they checked the status of those tiles with satellites but in the press conference they said they didnt use them :eek2: !.... Can some one say more food for the conspiracy therorists!

They are finding parts in Ca & Az now. It started long before 8:59AM CST.

Back