Competition is your friend

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A few years back (that long already?) we were trying to figure out what FiOS was. Turns out it is my friend. The original choice for speed were;
5/2
15/2
30/30

Comcast had something like 2/2, if you were lucky.

Now, look at the high speed options

FiOS
5 mbps downstream / 2 mbps upstream
10 mbps downstream/ 2 mbps upstream
15 mbps downstream/ 2 mbps upstream
20 mbps downstream / 5 mbps upstream
30 mbps downstream / 5 mbps upstream
50 mbps downstream / 5 mbps upstream

Comcast
(Downloads speeds up to 15 Mbps with PowerBoost and upload speeds up to 3 Mbps with PowerBoost)
(up to Downloads speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost and upload speeds up to 4 Mbps with PoweBoost)
(Downloads speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost and upload speeds up to 5 Mbps)
(download speeds up to 50 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps. )

all but the 50Mb/s speeds are at or under $60.

WTF is powerboost?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
First 10mb of a download, first 5mb of an upload...utter bullshit. You can hardly even get a song with that.

Wacky Nacky

In a college class (anthropology), I learned that the USA has the slowest Internet speeds in the world that cost the most money. China generally has really fast speeds, and it costs less.

I'm not sure if China's Internet costs less due to communism or not, but I thought it was interesting that they have faster Internet than us. When downloading, I find it's faster to download a song from someone who has a higher speed than mine, because they can send it faster for some reason.

EDIT: Dad and I think "faster speed" is a marketing gimic by Road Runner currently. We went to the lowest broadband speed and noticed no difference between the lowest speed and the faster speeds. Maybe we aren't using the Internet correctly? :s YouTube still loads fast enough, as do flash videos and stuff. So, either we're USING IT WRONG, or it's all just a marketing gimic, designed to make people spend more money than they need to.

IDLEchild

I am stuck with Road runner in my area, it's the only service where I live. The day FIOS becomes available Time Warner will lose me as a customer so fast it'll be a record time of a cancellation.