Computer getting fixed

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, my baby has to go in tomorrow to get the cd drive looked at, the headphone jack and the mute button. So, I won't be around for a few days! See you all in a few!

~Nixy

this is exactly why i keep 4 extra PCs, an extra dsl modem, an analog modem, and a whole slew of extra cabling around, to avoid a catastrophe like being cut off from teh internet.

tommyj27 said:
this is exactly why i keep 4 extra PCs, an extra dsl modem, an analog modem, and a whole slew of extra cabling around, to avoid a catastrophe like being cut off from teh internet.

Damned straight! :nerd:

tommyj27 said:

Thank God I'm not alone!

Nothing I have is ready to run...but I can see me building a new one REALLY fast from all the spare parts in case of emergency :lloyd:

I'm sure one of my 12 will get me back online, should I need them. Might even get around to putting one of the linux boxes online.

Professur said:
I'm sure one of my 12 will get me back online, should I need them. Might even get around to putting one of the linux boxes online.
that's about the only box i'd put online

/me runs BSD on the gateway :/

tommyj27 said:

Indeed, but if you are really good you got a backup dialup in case the upstream fubar's the dslan.

:nerd:

PostCode said:
Indeed, but if you are really good you got a backup dialup in case the upstream fubar's the dslan.

:nerd:

Got that covered (hope I never have to use it). :nerd:

Yeah my cable connection offers the free dial-up backup
but I've not had a phone line in the house for years...

Inko why DSL?
When I had DSL it cost more and had far less bandwidth.

I have that too Inky, but last time the DSL went down for a day the dialup failed for the same reason, all on their end. It didn't matter how good my connection was, they were down across the board that day. Thankfully that's only happened once in the last 2+ years. It might be useful if I were away for some time with the laptop and only access to a phone line, but that situation's never come up.

Winky, I'm paying $26.95 a month for my DSL (I've seen cable offer deals where you get a month free or something but oce that's over the monthly cost is around $40 to $50) and my speeds are pretty consistent. I believe I'm supposed to be at 1.5M down/384K up. I've been too lazy to check my real speeds in quite a long time, but my speeds were pretty respectable if I remember right. Plus, DSL has quicker ping times than cable, which is better for gaming. I don't game much but it's nice to know it's there. It also helps to have SBC Yahoo because RadioShack sells that and it's good to have some product knowledge.

SL, if that were to happen, I still know the login and password for my parents' internet account. That's how I connected after I got my apartment but before the DSL got turned on. I just had to make sure to log on at a time when I was sure my dad would be offline, and life was good.

Inkara1 said:
I still know the login and password for my parents' internet account. That's how I connected after I got my apartment but before the DSL got turned on.
I did not know a body could do that. *Makes note*

Well, there were two other computers in the house...I used my bros when I needed to Google and I made a brief appearance on MSN yesterday from my mom's when I was setting up ger graphics drivers...but...my mom's is very old and slow and makes me want to throw things...and my brother's set up is very uncomfy for long term computering...so I took advantage of the lack of favourable computing opportunities to read a book, do some HW, spend time with my grandma...go to the dentist...TWICE...life was pretty good over all :)

But, this morning I got my laptop back and not a moment to soon!! I missed her!

Effective February 22, you can send email messages twice as big as before. Cox has increased the size of each email from 5MB to 10MB. This makes it easier for you to add impact to your emails by adding pictures or video. We are also pleased to announce that the storage capacity of each mailbox has been increased from 10MB to 100MB. Please click here for complete details.

Winky said:
Effective February 22, you can send email messages twice as big as before. Cox has increased the size of each email from 5MB to 10MB. This makes it easier for you to add impact to your emails by adding pictures or video. We are also pleased to announce that the storage capacity of each mailbox has been increased from 10MB to 100MB. Please click here for complete details.

:alienhuh:

Back