Computer glitch forces shutdown of Canadian-designed nuclear plant in Romania

Professur

CERNAVODA, Romania (AP) - A computer malfunction has forced the closure of a Canadian-designed nuclear power plant, Romanian officials said Monday.

The Candu plant in the city of Cernavoda, about 200 kilometers east of Bucharest, was shut down late Sunday, the company which manages the plant said in a release.

Plant director Ionel Bucur said no damage was done to the environment, the plant's personnel or to local residents. Bucur said workers repaired the system and were investigating the cause of the incident. He said the plant will be restarted on Thursday.

In August, the plant was closed due to a severe drought which left insufficient water to cool the reactor. It was the first time the plant had encountered water level problems since it opened seven years ago.

The plant has four reactors, but only one is in use. It produces 700 megawatts a day and provides 10 per cent of Romania's electricity.

source

I bet some doofus caused it, and it wasn't really the comp's fault at all... In my experience, 90% of all errors 'caused by computers' are actually caused by incompetence.

Edit: Unless the computer in question was Windows-based....

I would hope people have the sense not to run nuclear power plants on windows based systems.

PuterTutor said:
I would hope people have the sense not to run nuclear power plants on windows based systems.
I think its against the EULA......its in there somewhere....

Back