Concerts: Who have you been to, going to, or want to?

Cerise

I've been to a few in my day---

Fleetwood Mac, Joe Walsh, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, John Hartford, Jerry G. & Co...

but I never realized how much I loved classical music---especially the waltz---
until the local pbs tv started playing Andre Rieu concerts in advance of his show in Omaha in October. Wow! Decent seats are by pbs donation only, and the ticketmaster ones are up in the rafters (tho I do believe he has big screens on stage) so I think I'll wait 'til next time, but I can imagine the sound of his orchestra is huge when it's live! It's very beautiful on CD, and his concerts that I've dvr'd are just captivating!

"The pleasure we obtain from music comes from counting, but counting unconsciously. Music is nothing but unconscious arithmetic." ~Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz

Paul McCartney, the Who, Iron Maiden, Bela Fleck, Beausoliel, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, REM, Slayer, Billy Idol, and about 50 small time bands... some of which I opened for... some opened for me... some I just saw.

Gonna try, but I know I'll forget a ton of them...

Def Leppard twice

Krokus three or four times...

Jon Butcher Axis

Iron Maiden

Quiet Riot twice

KISS - I have honestly lost count how many times I have seen them, I think it's up to 26

Van Halen (original line-up)

Autograph

Ozzy Osbourne

Accept

Judas Priest twice

Great White 3 times

Bon Jovi 3 times

Scorpions twice

Night Ranger

Kick Axe

Armored Saint

Whitesnake

Ratt twice

Blackfoot

Trixter

Mama's Boys

Yngwie Malmsteen

AC/DC 3 times

Guns 'N Roses

Motley Crue twice

Sammy Hagar twice

Ted Nugent 4 times

Aerosmith 3 times

Motorhead

Alice Cooper

Danger Danger

Dangerous Toys

Verve

Slaughter

Powerman 5000 or something like that

Warrant

Every Mother's Nightmare

Tora Tora

Jackyl

Brother Cane

The Poor

W.A.S.P.

Junkyard

Black Crowes

White Lion

Johnny Winter

Y & T

Valentine Saloon

Skid Row twice

Soundgarden

Metal Church

Countless local bands

Oh yeah, and some bluegrass...

Seldom Scene

Lonesome River Band

Mountain Heart

IIIrd Tyme Out

I'm probably forgetting over half of the bands I've seen. What a long strange trip it has indeed been.

As far as wanted to see and missed...

Dio
Metallica
The Cult
Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, T. Rex and others before my time...I listened to them and liked them but was like 6 at the time
UFO
Michael Schenker
Stevie Ray Vaughan
ZZ Top
Gov't Mule

Level 42, Blur (twice), The Verve, The Cardigans, The Sars Concerts that they had here in TO, Catherine Wheel, New Order, Depeche Mode, B52's,
The Fall, The Breeders, REM, Harry Connick JR.

I know there's more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

I've also seen Bon Jovi, Elton John Coldplay & some Chinese band while being on call at the Air Canada Centre.

forgot:
Elton John
YES
Butthole Surfers
DIO
Faith no More
Rough Cutt
Kick Axe
Poison/Winger/Vince Neil solo act ... although I was mostly there on business.
Fabulous Thunderbirds at a mega chili contest at Dobbins AFB of all places. It was soooo goldarn hot that day that the crowds at the time they went on numbered less than 2000. I was able to sit on one of the speakers... briefly. The vibrations coming through that stack almost shook my legs off.

SnP makes me jealous. I've always wanted to catch Krokus, Night Ranger, and Y&T. Guess I can't wind the clock back 20 years though.

I'm probably forgetting over half of the bands I've seen. What a long strange trip it has indeed been.

Crikey! That's a list! Any wild and crazy things happen to you at any shows?

Neil Young would be a good show (minus any political comments from the stage) I remember cranking the Harvest album as a kid. (Heart of Gold, Old Man & The Needle and the Damage Done were the standouts to me)

I forgot about Elton John in Milwaukee in the late '70's and Bob Dylan opened for the Dead in Minneapolis in the late '80's---Dylan was forgetable, but we didn't go to see Dylan.....

Speaking of Minneapolis, I'll bet Prince would be a pretty good concert.

Paul McCartney, the Who, Iron Maiden, Bela Fleck, Beausoliel, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, REM, Slayer, Billy Idol, and about 50 small time bands... some of which I opened for... some opened for me... some I just saw.

Do you still play?

My hands haven't touched a keyboard in almost 2 years. The notes are still in my head, but my fingers no longer retain the dexterity memory. It would take 6-8 weeks to get back up to speed.

I was never really cut out for it anyway since I am painfully near deaf of my right side. Loud music always made the ear hurt and made me fairly tone deaf. I could not harmonize because of it. I was almost a liability on stage... but was always the most responsible champ off stage. I was punctual, had a little cash, stayed sober, played the part of the sober bodyguard and liason with various managements.

Hmmm...
Metallica
The Cult
Cheap Trick
AC/DC
Faster Pussycat
The Marshall Tucker Band
Goo Goo Dolls
Spacehog
Quiet Riot
Dangerous Toys
Ozzy Osbourne
Type O Negative
Various and sundry Zydeco bands
Doug Stone
Run DMC
Public Enemy
Sepultura! (Absolutely awesome)
Various and sundry Death Metal bands
Tool
Clutch
......I know there is more.....

My hands haven't touched a keyboard in almost 2 years. The notes are still in my head, but my fingers no longer retain the dexterity memory. It would take 6-8 weeks to get back up to speed.

Not like riding a bike, is it?
I opened for Commander Cody once.

Seen bands to numerous to mention but they were the closest to famous people I ever opened for.

Highlights:

The Stones on the Sucking in the Seventies tour
Springsteen anytime
Dylan on the Blood on the Tracks tour
The Eurythmics
Bob Seger
Paul Simon
The Allman Brothers (after Duane)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (before the crash)
Arlo Guthrie
The Dead
Robert Earl Keene
Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks
George Jones
Dixie Chicks
Eric Clapton
Levon Helm
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
BB King
Stevie Ray Vaughan (the Fabulous Thunderbirds opened for him in one show)
Cat Stevens
The list could go on and on.

Most disappointing show ever was Seals and Crofts. It was a karaoke show. All the music but them was canned.

Van Halen (1st & third tour plus the US Festival)
ELO
Alvin Lee & Ten Years After
Supertramp (fell asleep)
Black Sabbath, with & without Ozzy
Judas Priest
AC DC
Surf Punks
Motley Crue (saw them in the clubs too)
WASP
George Thorogood & the Delaware Destroyers
Accept
Aerosmith (too many times to count)
Scorpions
Blue Oyster Cult
ZZ Top (with sheep & with beards)
Waylon & Willie (mom wanted a date)
Krokus
Riot
Quiet Riot(club)
LA Guns (club)
Guns n Roses (club)
Ratt (club)
Def Leppard (opened for Ted-stage amps only)

dozens more-I'll get back to it later

later-
Rolling Stones
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Jerry Lee Lewis
Foreigner
KISS (with & without)

later som emore
The Cars
Foghat
Iron Maiden several times
Armored Saint (clubs)
Uriah Heep
Stevie Ray Vaughan-kind of...it was the 1985 AZ State Fair, My (future) wife & one of our guitar players and his girlfriend were sitting in the arena. The opening act was somebody crappy & they all were carrying on about going out to ride the rides & fuck around. I had them talked into waiting for SRV to start. Around the third song, they all got up & said they were going to wander around. Bowing to peer pressure, I relucantly followed- and bitched the entire night (I still bitch about it to my wife). Stevie died before I ever had another opportunity to see him.

Let's see if I can remember them... most have been at the California Mid-State Fair here in Paso Robles, which does a great job of getting acts that usually won't play at fairs.

Tyketta/Nelson
Gallagher
Alan Jackson
Merle Haggard
Chubby Checker
Shirelles
Foreigner/Doobie Brothers
Smash Mouth/Wallflowers
ZZ Top
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Moby/Bush
Godsmack/Metallica

seen:
Aerosmith (twice), AC/DC (3 times), Scorpions, Cheap Trick, The Cars, Foreigner, Joe Walsh, Chicago, NIN, The Ramones, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Journey, James Taylor, Celine Dion, Moody Blues, Faith Hill and whats-his-name (her husband), Hootie and the Blowfish, Elton John, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, Iggy Pop, Blue Oyster Cult, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Boston Pops, Elvis Costello, Violent Femmes and i know i'm missing a few.

want to see:
Depeche Mode, Cowboy Junkies, The Cult, Joss Stone, Tom Petty

Brownsville Station (absolutely KIcked ass)
Uriah Heep (sucked Big time)
Santana and Friends
the "and Friends" was some new guy called Peter Frampton
James Gang
Foghat
Ted Nugent (LOUD)
Cactus
Stevie Ray Vaughn (Tie for best concert)
Frank Zappa (Tied with SRV)
REO Speedwagon (I had to go)
Hermans Hermits (Herman with no original Hermits)
Edgar Winter
Dave Mason (Go see him he's great)
Duke Tomato and the Power Trio (Old guy Playin the blues)
Trick Pony
And a few more I can't remeber

I would have loved to have seen the Dead.

Best review I ever saw of a Dead show (Phoenix in the mid-eighties in fact):

"In the first five minutes I was offered wine, a hit of acid, a hit off a joint and a hug."

The closest you can get to that now is a Jimmy Buffett show. Like a Greatful Dead show, you are more a participant than an observer.

A littlle interesting history. Timothy B. Schmidt (yes, that Timothy B. Schmidt) played bass (and of course sang, how do you not have Timmy sing) in JImmy's band for a while in the eighties and early nineties. At one of the first shows he played at, he said something like, "Look at them all. They're just like deadheads. Except with parrots. They're parrotheads!" Now you know where the appellation comes from. :D My sister is one. She flies to Chicago every year to see Buffett there because it was the first place she saw him and it's one of his biggest shows each year. She reminds me of every deadhead I ever knew. I don't know how or why her husband Don puts up with it.

That reminds me that I left out Buffett as well as Steve Goodman and John Prine. And the Eagles. If I'm ever anywhere where James McMurtry is playing I'll go see him too.

SnP makes me jealous. I've always wanted to catch Krokus, Night Ranger, and Y&T. Guess I can't wind the clock back 20 years though.

I sincerely hope you are being comedic about Night Ranger. That is the only headliner I ever (willingly, see next post) walked out on. Kick Axe opened, and embarrassed them. Half the crowd was chanting for them to come back 4 songs into NR's set. It was the '84 tour when they were milking "Sister Christian" for all it was worth. I stayed for about 7 tunes and left.

Krokus was purely awesome every time. Headhunter and Blitz tours.

Y & T was impressive, third billed so they only got about 40 minutes.

Crikey! That's a list! Any wild and crazy things happen to you at any shows?

Oh yeah...

1. Met Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour, my first concert ever. Was walking past the tour bus and they popped out and just started talking to us. Very cool dudes.

2a. My first Judas Priest show had three moments. Before the doors opened, back in the day of festival seating, we were in line about 6 hours early. We kept seeing these Hell's Angels about (it WAS a Priest show...), generally minding their own business. As the afternoon became evening, the line started tightening up, and my girlfriend, who was wearing a pair of jeans it took her 30 minutes to get into, turned back toward me (we had gotten separated by about three people) and said something about some twit rubbing her ass and wouldn't stop. Before I could get to her, one of the Angels who happened to overhear asked her who it was. She indicated the guilty party, who was removed from line by his collar, taken around the side of the Knoxville Civic Colliseum, and never seen again. About ten minutes later, the Angel came back and kinda hung near us until we got in. Wonder what happened to our butt-rubber? :cool4:

2b. Same show..still outside but almost time for the doors to open. By natural line matriculation, I had managed to get up to about 20th. As the doors opened, I was walking into the outer hall of the coliseum, where you go in, turn right, and go through a set of double doors to get into the actual concert hall. As I approached the double doors, I was shoved off my feet and went shoulder first into a cop who was standing with his back against the metal part that separates double doors. He made a groan and went down like a sack of flour. Another cop came running over, claiming I had done it. Fortunately, a third one saw me flying off my feet and saved me from being arrested for assault by telling him I had been shoved.

2c. I later found out from cops at a different show that the cop I had been shoved into had 3 broken ribs but was OK, and that during the show that night there had been 2 stabbings and 3 rapes reported. Good show though...

3. Same venue, Van Halen, February 1984. I was on the opposite side of the coliseum this time. It is fronted by solid glass. As the crowd was clambering to get in, I got pinned behind a door with a young girl between me and the glass wall on my left. It shattered. She went through completely, so fast that I went through also and the glass fell on my right shoulder. They let her in but made me go back outside. So here I am picking shards of glass out of my shoulder being forced back into this mob of people. Eventually we managed to break the door off its hinge, I got in, threw the ticket at them, and went on. Never one offer for medical assistance. I still have scars there.

4. Won backstage passes for a Ted Nugent/Aerosmith show. Met Ted (very nice guy) and spent most of my time with his singer Dave A'Mato. He told me a lot of fascinating things (anyone in Ted's band is immediately fired if they so much as drink a beer before the show), and he took us to meet Aerosmith. Joe, Brad, and Steven were a lot of fun. Their dressing room included a cooler of beer for each of them and a full bottle of liquor placed every 2 feet along the mirrored wall, no repeats of brands. Joe tossed me a bottle of Southern Comfort, grabbed a bottle of something, and we commenced. Chased it with beers for about an hour off and on. All in all a good time.

5. The only other headliner I ever walked out on was Bon Jovi sometime in the 90s. My first wife had won tickets, but being the stick in the mud she is (I did mention FIRST wife...) she wanted to leave by 10:30 because she had to work the next day and forgot to ask off. So we watched the opening act, who I was there to see anyway having already seen Bon Jovi twice (a band called The Poor opened, very good show), stayed long enough for her to see a little of the Bon Jovi show, and left. I hope she gets plenty of sleep.

Bitch.

6. Motley Crue and Warrant played at MTSU while I was a student there. My roomie was a Crue junkie, camped for a week and got us front row tickets. And I mean front row, maybe three seats off center. I hated and still hate Warrant, so I ignored them. All during Crue's show, I had a straight line of sight between drums right into Tommy Lee, and he kept pointing toward me. Could have had something to do with the fact that we were surrounded by frat fags and I was the only rocker he could see, I dunno. Anyway, my roomie had found out that Warrant was supposed to go to this club in town after the show (Mainstreet for those familiar with Murfreesboro), so after the show he was shagging ass to get there. As I was more slowly leaving, looking for someone to spend a little quality time with :)sex: ), a security guard grabbed me and asked if I had been on the front. I said yeah, and he opened my leather jacket (it was winter) and saw I was wearing a KISS tour shirt. He said, "Must be you. Come on." I was freaking.

Come to find out, Tommy Lee had sent him out to try and find me. He told me he noticed me in the crowd and I looked like someone to party with. We commenced. And kept ON commencing. This was their "clean and sober" tour. They lied. Oh my GOD did they lie. Nikki kept shooting up all evening, Vince was plastered, Mick made a brief appearance and then disappeared, but me and Tommy and about half a dozen more just got ripped. He was one of the funniest people I've ever met, and it was natural funny, not booze induced. My roomie found out the next afternoon where I'd been (I left with another backstage denizen :sex: ) and was livid.

I've stepped on about 50 people, been stepped on twice, met a ton of performers, had my share of anonymous gropings backstage, been in fights before, during and after the shows, and more tales than I have time to type. Overall, a great experience. I miss the late 80s/early 90s something fierce.

Back