Concerts: Who have you been to, going to, or want to?

Faster Pussycat

I was a "member" of the Cathouse. Saw them there almost weekly. Of course they were usually trashed by the 2AM start of the show.

I was actually serious about Night Ranger. I never was a fan of Sister Christian. I was a 'Don't Tell me you Love Me' kinds guy... two years earlier... 82. I figure that it would have been a better, smaller, less ballad show. Having never seen them, you just never know what kind of show they will put on.

One of the weakest shows I ever saw was Kick Axe opening for DIO on the Sacred Heart tour. The best opener was Faith No More fronting Billy Idol. That show was a triple encore for them. Billy easily obliged as he was still crippled from the motorcyle accident and leaned heavily upon a cane.

Best show hands down was The WHO in 89. Man... they were good and polished... 3.5 hours and didn't miss a beat.
Dont tell me you love me

"Don't Tell Me You Love Me" was the only reason I stayed as long as I did.

Van Halen was notorious for picking horrendous opening acts. They wanted the whole crowd there to see them. Thus, Autograph. I skipped out on a few of the opening acts during the KISS reunion tour also. Powerman 5000 was not something I cared to witness. Neither was Trixter.

I cried like a bitch the first time I got to see KISS live. I cried again when I finally got to see the original lineup, makeup and all, on the reunion tour. Their shows are...different. The whole atmosphere is different. Wandering around the parking garages before the shows, 98% of the people during the shows...it's like you're among family. You'll see balding 50 year olds in rapt conversation with 22 year old tattooed longhaired hoodlum types. I dunno, it's something to experience.

The Elder was horrendous. Almost but not quite as bad as Unmasked and Crazy Nights.

Rock And Roll Over, Love Gun, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Revenge, the self titled debut LP, Creatures Of The Night...all classics, top 100 LPs of all time IMO.

Curiously though, KISS does not occupy the Number One LP in my book. That esteemed honor goes to Holy Diver by Dio. If there is a bad note on that mutha I ain't heard it in the 24 years since it came out.

(Hmm...this might be interesting fodder for a new thread, one sure to get people ripping one another's throats out...)

At least it was the song : "I" from the Elder.... which I actually like... tis the only thing I like from that album. I almost put up a old live performance from some Brit variety show. Ace was in such bad shape that you could just imagine sticking a finger right through him like a merengue pie.

"I" was about the only saving grace that album had.

Little known fact: Paul and Gene played on the album; Ace and Peter didn't. Anton Fig did the drumming (Peter never had a double bass kit that was actually functional, so any KISS LP he's on with a double bass drum is a sub), and the guitars were mostly Robben Ford. Bob Kulick did a little work on it, as did the guy who played with Billy Squier some (disremember his name right now...)

That was the last straw for Ace. He hated the stuff on that album so bad he left rather than play it. Being under contract with them, he made 25% of what they made for the next seven years though. Had he released anything during that time, KISS got 75% of it. Hence, the Frehley's Comet LP didn't come out until that contract was up.

Just some of the useless shit I like to know...

Speaking of Minneapolis, I'll bet Prince would be a pretty good concert.

A lot of my friends have seen his shows on various tours over the last 25 years, and all of them gave them rave reviews. The man is an entertainer and a top notch musician and song writer, say what else about him you will.

How could I forget....

The greatest show I ever saw, absolute perfection, was Deep Purple-the reunoin tour (Perfect Strangers I think). Every musician in the audience had a hard-on it was so good.

I also forgot seeing and hanging out with Finger 11 whom opened for Evanesence. That one was also a quasi business trip... but I did get to see at least half of the show. It was a strange night in that I ran into at least no less than 4 ex coworkers, all independent from each other. Some I hadn't seen in like 8 years.

Back