CPU Temperature - Not Happy

Aunty Em

My CPU temperature has begun to rise not fall! It's 58C on idle! This might be due to the ambient temperature having risen as I first set up and ran in very cool temps. So far the AS3 seems to have done squat as far as lowering the temp. I've tried a bigger fan in the front to get more air into the case but with no difference so I don't think it's lack of airflow through the case. I've also sent for a thermaltake 420w dual fan psu so that there's an exhaust directly over the heatsink - it should change the airflow through the case and draw air more directly across the cpu. I also intend to remove, clean and regrease the heatsink when it comes.

In the meantime I need suggestions for another, preferably copper based heatsink that works well on a XP2200+.

Has anyone any experience of the THERMALTAKE A1455 SKT-A XP2800+ VOLC9 COOLMOD?

Just how noisy is it?

*sigh I'm not asking for anything extreme I just want a sub 50C idle temperature.

Sure I can't interest you in THIS
coolermasterheatpipe.jpg

for £15?

The overclocking store...
http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/productinfo.php?codeid=800973

Rated up to 2800+ (but I have a 2100+ Tbred B @ 2.171Ghz and had to put a faster fan on it to cope).

Cooler Master are well known for the high quality products. This CPU cooler using Heat-Pipe technology is no exception to that rule. The two copper heat pipes help transfer the heat away from the CPU much quicker.

Rated up to 2800+
Fan Dimension 60 x 60 x 25 mm
Rated Speed 3000 RPM
Air Flow 14.13 CFM
Rated Voltage 12 VDC
Heat Sink Dimension 80 x 60 x 44 mm

You can even have a listen to it here
Taken from the review at frostytech : http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1126&page=1

If your not bothered about it being quiet I have a 4800rpm YS-Tech fan that I put onto it instead of the Coolermaster ~3000rpm one. Then it can easily do upto 2800+.

Actually with a 60mm to 80 mm adapter it would run with the silent fan I have on the globalwin which pushes 29cfm as opposed to the fan on the heatpipe at 14cfm. If that doesn't have some effect nothing will!

I'm just concerned about the total width including the pipes as I have some capacitors quite close to the heatsink.

Well what motherboard is it?
Can try and confirm that it will or will not fit.

The 60mm fan I had on it was as follows

- Speed - 4200RPM
- Output - 26CFM
- Decibels - 36dBA
- Dimensions - 60x60x25

Which would give you the same performance as the 80mm but without having to get a converter.
If we can find out that it will fit on your motherboard, I can send it down with both 60mm fans. I think the silent one will probably do if you are not overclocking.

My mobo is an ABit KD7E. Actually looking at the picture I think 80mm must be the overall width if the fan on top is 60x60 which means it will fit.

My fan is < 25dBa - I have an order awaiting stock at the overclocking store so I'll just ask them to add an akasa adapter to it. Just send it with the fan that came with it.

I'll PM you so we can sort out payment, etc.

hey aunty, i can't remember, but does that board read from the cpu diode? If it does then i won't worry too much, a board sensor might give about a 10C less reading, the diode is right but well within thermal limits.

Justintime said:
hey aunty, i can't remember, but does that board read from the cpu diode? If it does then i won't worry too much, a board sensor might give about a 10C less reading, the diode is right but well within thermal limits.

*total confusion

I've got no idea what you're taliking about. ?(

Care to enlighten me?

The XP cpu has an internal diode in the die that sends temp readings to motherboards that support it, other boards take temperatures from a diode built in the board right under the cpu die, you'll see it when theres no cpu in the socket, right smack in the middle, shown in pic.

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 7
I can't remember seeing one of those.

I have 3 temperature readings in my bios including cpu surface and cpu core.

At the moment they are:

system 35C
cpu surface 37C
cpu core 52C

but that's with the side panel open.

The system temp is a bit highish, but if the case cooling is anything like mine (i use side fans at 5v with no case fans inside) it'll actualy be cooler when the panel is on.

Justintime said:
The system temp is a bit highish, but if the case cooling is anything like mine (i use side fans at 5v with no case fans inside) it'll actualy be cooler when the panel is on.

The system temp goes up when the panel is on by about 5C as does the cpu and core temp. I tried a bigger front fan but it made no difference which is why I'm tryint to change the direction of the airflow with a dual fan psu when it comes. I tried switching off the top blowhole but the temp rises by 2C.

Back