paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
So a pedophile gets what in the states, 10 years

Murderers sentanced to 7 years

then this guy must be a monster

LIFE in Federal prison!!

for pot

link

BANGOR, Maine - An Aroostook County man was sentenced to life in federal prison Tuesday after being found guilty on more than a dozen counts related to a multimillion-dollar marijuana distribution operation.

De-criminalize it already.

Well, if we decriminalize rape, murder and theft at the same time, we can completely empty those prisons.

Well, if we decriminalize rape, murder and theft at the same time, we can completely empty those prisons.

if you decriminalize drugs you'll vastly reduce the latter two.

but practicality ain't got nothin' on authoritarianism these days, right?

:trout:

It should be mentioned that it's not exactly a case of this guy getting pulled over and the cop seeing a couple of joints in the cup holder. This dude had a major-league distribution network (the authorities tend to really come down hard on those) and was distributing hundreds of pounds of the stuff all over the state. He was also committing big-time Social Security fraud.

So a pedophile gets what in the states, 10 years

Murderers sentanced to 7 years

then this guy must be a monster

LIFE in Federal prison!!

for pot

link

De-criminalize it already.

Sentences vary. It depends on the state, and it depends on the crime committed, and it depends on the judge. Same as in Canadistan.

FTR, murderers around here aren't typically sentenced to 7 years. They get a longer sentence, then parolled, sometimes after 7 years but usually it's much longer. But they are subject to go back if they screw up. I've sent two back myself.

This wasn't Cheech they caught. He was a bit further up the food chain.

I've already stated my position on decriminalizing it. I got all the job security I need.

if you decriminalize drugs you'll vastly reduce the latter two.

but practicality ain't got nothin' on authoritarianism these days, right?

:trout:

Really? So most rapists and murderers are raping and murdering because they can't get high? You'll have to explain that one to me a little further.

:shrug: Latter two?

I agree with 2minkey on this one. A lot of murders and thefts are drug related. In fact, I suspect that at least half of murders are directly or indirectly related to drugs (remember, alcohol is a drug). Probably very few because they "can't get high," but then that would only be one minor facet of decriminalization now, wouldn't it? I think most of the folks who want to get high are doing it now. Decriminalization has little effect there.

I wonder what percentage of drug related prisoners are in prison for simple possession.

I wonder what percentage of drug related prisoners are in prison for simple possession.

Virtually zero. It's a misdemeanor; they spend a few hours/days then get probation and (supposedly) pay their fines etc.

A better question IMO: What percentage of inmates, regardless of conviction offense, are there either directly or indirectly because of drugs? I know what my own eyes tell me, but as we all know that's worthless unless it's on wikipedia.

It should be mentioned that it's not exactly a case of this guy getting pulled over and the cop seeing a couple of joints in the cup holder. This dude had a major-league distribution network (the authorities tend to really come down hard on those) and was distributing hundreds of pounds of the stuff all over the state. He was also committing big-time Social Security fraud.

Not saying he should walk free, but LIFE?

If the pedo's got the chair or needle, or even life with no parole, maybe I could see this guy getting such a huge sentence, but he wasn't even dealing the heavy drugs.

I'm guessing the Social Security fraud was a big part of the number of years, as was the monetary value of the pot he was selling. I'm sure this guy will be paroled after seven years anyway, but "life" sends a stronger message than seven years.

Virtually zero. It's a misdemeanor; they spend a few hours/days then get probation and (supposedly) pay their fines etc.

A better question IMO: What percentage of inmates, regardless of conviction offense, are there either directly or indirectly because of drugs? I know what my own eyes tell me, but as we all know that's worthless unless it's on wikipedia.
I know a guy who got six years in Texas for two joints. Of course, it was a long time ago. Re. a better question, I'm betting way more than half but I have no hard data, that's just an opinion. I think that legalization (not just decriminalization) would cut that figure significantly myself.

I'm guessing the Social Security fraud was a big part of the number of years, as was the monetary value of the pot he was selling. I'm sure this guy will be paroled after seven years anyway, but "life" sends a stronger message than seven years.

There is no federal parole; only probation.

Might as well wonder about alcohol too.

Y'know ... I'd be all for legalizing pot and lots of other drugs too ... but you really wouldn't like the restrictions I'd put in place on it. Restrictions like ... 100% equal limitation compared to alcohol. That means that all the teen druggies remain illegal. No public consumption. Random screening and traffic checks. That sort of thing. Not to mention seriously ramping up the severity of charges relating to any abuse of any of the above. Add in taxation equal to that of today's cigarettes, and hand enforcement over to ATF instead of the Narc squad.

When it's all said and done ... I seriously doubt you'd see any reduction in the number of criminal acts relating to drugs compared to today's figures.

Back