Crossin' the lines of "social etiquette"

75renegade

Don't ya jus' hate when yer words get WAY ahead of ya?

My buddy at work told me that his friend went to visit England on vaca. or what have ya, said he went to a pub an' struck up a chat with the locals.

Said he was gettin' along great with those local folk, havin' some drinks an' laughs, when he happened to, (in fun), call a guy in the group a drunken "sod", a term he obviously new not the origin of.

He didn't really know what it was he 'ad jus' said, but when the whole place suddenly went deathly silent, he realized he may've overstepped some verbal boundary.

Man, I hate that! Seems so unfair to feel so unknowingly out of place, "Like, no offense fellas, have a great eve.".........(slinkin' towards the door)

Been there myself, too many times, like askin' what the hell kinda plant cunnilingus is, or where in Canada is the Dominican, (yeah I actually did that), etc...............:D

'Ow 'bout you?

I've been the reason a pub went deathly silent, but it was the other guy's mouth running.

I'd gone home for a visit, and my accent was still floating between Glasgow and Montreal, when a guy in the pub, who'd maybe had one more than a few piped up "Hey, you talk funny. Are you English?" You could have heard a pin drop.

Professur said:
I've been the reason a pub went deathly silent, but it was the other guy's mouth running.

I'd gone home for a visit, and my accent was still floating between Glasgow and Montreal, when a guy in the pub, who'd maybe had one more than a few piped up "Hey, you talk funny. Are you English?" You could have heard a pin drop.

No doubt? :rofl2: :rofl3:

Erm... isn't that the same as commiting suicide in a Glasgow pub! :eek:

So how did you defuse the situation?

I am suprised the whole place didn't erupt into laughter if he called someone a "drunken sod". :D

Aunty Em said:
Erm... isn't that the same as commiting suicide in a Glasgow pub! :eek:

So how did you defuse the situation?

I came as close to lying as I ever do. I told him I was from Canada. All of a sudden I was everyone's long lost cousin. Man did I get hammered that night.

75renegade said:
Said he was gettin' along great with those local folk, havin' some drinks an' laughs, when he happened to, (in fun), call a guy in the group a drunken "sod", a term he obviously new not the origin of.

I don't know the origin of it either... is it really that bad?

Professur said:
I came as close to lying as I ever do. I told him I was from Canada. All of a sudden I was everyone's long lost cousin. Man did I get hammered that night.

Hell, I'd have to tell them my Grandfather was a Scot and hope I survived!

Re: Re: Crossin' the lines of "social etiquette"

greenfreak said:
75renegade said:

Sodomy dear, sodomy. :)

So it's the equivalent of calling somebody an "inebriated, biblical buttfucker" I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Crossin' the lines of "social etiquette"

MuFu said:
greenfreak said:
75renegade said:

Sodomy dear, sodomy. :)

So it's the equivalent of calling somebody an "inebriated, biblical buttfucker" I guess.

:eek5: Ok! I get it now! :D

Thanks dear.

You added that last part after I responded, I think. :confuse3:

I'd heard sod used myself, but wasn't really aware what it was, I took it as more like lazy, or in conjunction with lazy, "Lazy Sod."

PuterTutor said:
You added that last part after I responded, I think. :confuse3:

Yep. Sorry. :D

...I took it as more like lazy, or in conjunction with lazy, "Lazy Sod."

Yeah, same here.

"Lazy sod"
"Sod off!"
"Sod's law"
etc etc

Comes from the biblical city of Sodom of course. Presumably that entails you get napalmed if you do somebody in the batty. =/

Beats asking for a 'fag' anywhere but in the UK...

you'd never ask for a cigarette in the same way again :)

Back