Crossing the line

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- Students at a suburban Catholic school are being ordered to take down their photos, snappy comments, or anything else they may have posted on MySpace.com.

Friday is the deadline for students at St. Hugo of the Hills Catholic School to follow orders or risk suspension. School Principal Sister Margaret Van Velzen sent letters home to parents this week saying, in part, that if families allow children to continue their MySpace.com sites, they will not be allowed to return to school. The school plans to use its computer-savvy staff members to monitor the site for student activity.The principal declined comment, but St. Hugo office manager Judy Martinek said the principal just wants to keep the students safe.

I find myspace rather disturbing. Especially for minors. The things these kids reveal is frightening, It's a haven for pedophiles.

I also think that a private institution, like a Catholic Church & its school has a right to expect & demand a level of decorum by its members.

However.

Changing the rules in the middle of a school year seems a little off.

The reasons cited make perfect sense but I'm sure its not the place of a school administrator, public or private, to make parental decisions. They could have made made the moron paretns aware of what myspace is & the dangers involved but demanding all info be removed is a little bit of a stretch.

De-mutha-fuckin'-troit News

interesting. i'm actually a bit surprised by this. st. hugo is in an area - my old stompin' grounds - that would not seem prone to a book burnin' "ban it" mentality. it's very affluent, educated, and secular (though often very republican when it comes to economics).

Hm. So, these would be students who have listed their school on their profile, right? If everyone removes that info, and pics where they can be identified, will the "computer-savvy members" still be able to locate them (given they don't already have the profile info saved somewhere)? By the way, I think MySpace should remove the "find your school"-option completely.

Anywhoo, I pretty much agree with Gonz that if they want to have a rule about it it's their business, but it should take effect from the beginning of a school year.

I use the "find you school" thing quite a bit to be able to find my old classmates that have moved away from town. They're spread out across the country now.

Set your profile to private and make the default picture be something other than you... a truck, a tree, whatever. Only people on your friends list can view your profile then, and with the default picture not being of you, no telling who the person is wihtout knowing him or her.

Myself, I'd rather switch horses midstream than coordinate a nationwide manhunt for a kid abducted by a pedophile. But that's just me.

Sending a note home informing the parents of the crap that goes on at myspace should have happened. However, most parents don't care/see nothing wrong with myspace...until something happens then they'll blame the staff.

How is it the school's responsibility to educate parents about myspace?

You and your big government...ruining this country. I swear.

People working at a school deal with a large mass of kids. Often they can pick up on things going on with the kids (as a group) faster than parents who only deal with their own kid (and closest friends). So, if the school observes a trend growing amongst the kids that is considered to have negative consequenses, informing the parents is a good thing.

People working at a school deal with a large mass of kids. Often they can pick up on things going on with the kids (as a group) faster than parents who only deal with their own kid (and closest friends). So, if the school observes a trend growing amongst the kids that is considered to have negative consequenses, informing the parents is a good thing.
Yes it is.
And it's funny that you see sending out information as detrimental to you country....
No it isn't. Kind of scary, in fact.

Sending it I have no problem.

Sitting on your ass expecting them to do it I have a problem with.

You know me better than that.

This isn't a governmental body...it's a Catholic school. One that wants to aboilsh their students from using an internet site. Knowledge is a good thing. Almost as good as paretns who pay attention.

is this while they are AT school and ON school PC's?

If so - they can make the rules - beyond the school, barring perhaps discussing the school, it is not nor should be their remit. :shrug:

is this while they are AT school and ON school PC's?

If so - they can make the rules - beyond the school, barring perhaps discussing the school, it is not nor should be their remit. :shrug:

BB, they don't say the students can't do it. They say they can't do it and attend their private school. While I think it's asinine, I still think they're well within their rights here. It'd be a different story if it were a public school.

The principal required the students to delete all traces of their presence on myspace... that kind of requires the student not access it from home either.

The principal required the students to delete all traces of their presence on myspace... that kind of requires the student not access it from home either.

And there's the rub - controlling access from school (library, access sites, class etc...) makes sense. Easy too - just a nice little program to restrict sites. Restricting what goes on at home - that's another story.

A bit outdated too - MySpace is so out now. Try Second Life.

Back