Daytona 500

Professur

Hmmm. Noone posted anything. Only the biggest race in NASCAR. Well, I'll post a quick review.

The president flew in on Air Force One Point Five.
Leane Rimes attempted to sing the anthem, but wound up yodelling.
Her wardrobe didn't malfunction. But her top was flimsy enough that we all saw her nipples anyways. Someone buy that girl a bra, willya
Fly over was by 2 F-15s and a Stealth Bomber. Tres cool
Earnhart Jr. got bumped to the pole, since the pole sitter had to change an engine.
Raugh (sp) engine got a serious black eye when several of their engines blew up early into the race.
Last years winner Micheal Waltrip made the 11 o'clock news on nearly every channel with a spectacular series of barrel rolls. Ending on his roof. After yelling at the safety crew for 5 minutes that they couldn't cut him out, since there was a fucking car on top of him, they rolled the car right side up and he climbed out under his own power. Both car cams were still working well, despite the roofcam sitting several feet away from the actual car. The view of it being carried back and dumped on the wreck was worth the price of admission.
With 50 laps left, there was a clear separation from the rest by the 20 car in first place, the 97 in 17th and the 8 in second, right behind the 97. The 97 being 2 laps down thanks to the 8 earlier on. When the 8's spotter spoke to the 97's spotter to try and arrange a deal, well ... that he was rebuffed was an understatement.

With about 30 laps to go, knowing that he wasn't going to get any help from anyone, the 8 pulled off a stunning pass of the 20, and held the lead til the end, despite cooperation by the 20 and 97.

Review. DEI (Dale Earnhart Inc) was the story of the day. Dale Earnhart Jr. winning his first Datona 500, six years to the day that his father, Dale Sr. won his first and 3 years to the day of his death. And, Micheal Waltrip, his teammate, won the booby prize for best wreck. Who took second? Who cares, he's a loser anyways.

i like nascar some...used to fgollow jimmy johnson...but inevitably my attgention span ets the better of me...i'm more apt to follow it durin' football season when i'm already parked in front of the tube....but junior wins everything.

i actually watched most of the race. 1st time ive watched NASCAR in many years. still fell asleep for a chunk of the race, right after the big pile-up.

It was a great race. glad to see Jr. get a 500 win out of the way this early in his career. :D

IRL should be some damn good racing this year. it was great last year and many from CART have returned to IRL.

Squiggy said:
It was a great race. glad to see Jr. get a 500 win out of the way this early in his career. :D

IRL should be some damn good racing this year. it was great last year and many from CART have returned to IRL.

1. AMA Supersport
2. World Supersport
3. 250 Moto GP
4. Moto GP
5. AMA Superbike
6. World Superbike (sense a theme yet?)
7. 125 Moto GP
8. WRC (World Rally Championship)
9. Formula 1
10. World Endurance Championship

I'd have a ways to go before I got to NASCAR, I'm afraid. It would probably finish ahead of lawn mower racing though. If you don't like motorcycles, check out WRC. It's very exciting and they bleep the expletives regardless of language. :)

WRC, SCCA and Trans Am are the ones i try to watch as much as possible. i miss the Speedvision series. those were some good races.

Spot said:
WRC, SCCA and Trans Am are the ones i try to watch as much as possible. i miss the Speedvision series. those were some good races.
SCCA is a lot of fun to participate in too. Do they still have one meet a month at Lime Rock?

i imagine they do, though i've never been there. its so close too. none of my old friends could ever understand how i could like car racing. the wife did suggest trying to get down to Daytona next year today, so maybe i'll get her to go with me to Lime Rock.

i dearly wish i had the money to participate.....

Back