Death to America?

2minkey

bootlicker
that's asinine. we don't need to blow them up. we just need to leave them alone, so they can blame someone other than us for their problems. imperialism is fucking expensive. we can't afford to be the world's policeman. and it would be nice not to be involved with tiny little pissings like the "oopsie we burnt your korans" incident.

but BTW i wasn't calling you a bigot... just having fun with the "love it or leave it" thing. especially when applied to neo-hippy fags. :D

catocom

never ever have I said we should "police".
That's the main problem. That's what they've been doing, and trying to
"nation build" which Bush said he explicitly would Not do.

Yeah bombs cost money, but nothing near the cost of total logistical costs of ground war.

I do agree with Paul that there are many many places we need to pull out of though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We did leave them alone. Since 1983 we've left them alone. They bombed & bombed & bombed & bombed & bombed & bombed & bombed & (I assume you get the point).

Ultimately, they brought it to our shores. Leaving them alone is not the issue.

Imperialism...how, exactly, are we an imperialistic nation? This could be enlightening.

Can we afford to have China be the worlds police? Russia? Saudia Arabia? What price would you prefer?

As for this "tiny little pissing" match. Our current administration has failed this match. The whole story is easy to explain & understand (using the Koran to pass messages...sounds like the Islamic radicals did the defacing). Apologies? Not a single issued apoligy for this "incident" should have come from anyone higher than, say, a Master Sergeant. It's a failure of Obama, not the men on the ground.

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmm, i dunno gonz how many countries do we have military bases in? what's war really for, anyway? british mercantilism sure needed the british navy...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When those nations want us to leave, we begrudgingly do so, ask De Gaulle.

If we wanted to be an imperialistic nation, it'd be hard to stop us. But, like the Romans learned,
when the folks don't want you there, it can be an unpleasant stay

2minkey

bootlicker
"imperialist" is meant as technically descriptive. it does not mean "bad guys."

large-scale capitalism cannot exist without imperialism. big oil needs big guns, bubba.

jimpeel

Rep. Allen West had something to say about this subject. He knows what he is talking about.

Rep. West: One-way tolerance leads to cultural suicide
Commentary
Facebook
by: Rep. Allen West
Monday, February 27, 2012

Rep. Allen West, R-Fla. Photo Credit:AP
Rep. Allen West: If we had resolute leadership in the White House, we would have explained that these Islamic terrorist enemy combatants detained at the Parwan facility used the Koran to write jihadist messages to pass to others.

In doing so, they violated their own cultural practice and defiled the Koran and turned the Koran into contraband. The Islamic cultural practice and Parwan detention facility procedures support burning the “contraband.” ...

America is awaiting the apology from President Hamid Karzai.

2minkey

bootlicker
"hey guys, these korans were used by BAD JIHADIS, so it's okay if we burn them. ummmkay?"

yes, allen "everyone else in the world would obviously agree with my highly positional logic" west, there's no difference whatsoever in the cultural interpretation of such an act and its context between you and your dari-speaking islamic drama queen twins.

if we'd have just explained, everything would be fine...

gee, allen, seems like the better plan would have simply been to remove the books and burn them out in a field somewhere, on the deck of a carrier, etc.

fucking idiot.

2minkey

bootlicker
only if we can send dipshits like allen west and rick santorum over there first, to die with their equally ignorant and belligerent brothers-in-spirit.

2minkey

bootlicker
huh? what ruling party? are you trying to equate democrats with imperialists? (just asking, really don't understand your comment.)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Imperialism is not good cop/bad cop. It is the control over another nation.

2minkey

bootlicker
i do huh? well thanks for letting me know. i was unaware of meaning to say anything like that. or thinking anything like that previously.

or maybe you are ignoring the idiomatic nature of "good cop-bad cop" and in turn confusing that with "policeman of the world." one is a game. the other is a little pricier.

but i figured you knew that... hmmm....

Gotholic

The way I remember it,....
We were in negotiations with them, and they said they would hand him over, then
they reneged and let him slip out the back.

I know what they are there.
If you like um, maybe you oughta go live with um.

They were willing to hand him over if they were provided evidence of his involvement. This was understandable and reasonable. The U.S. refused.

2minkey

bootlicker
everyone knew that bin laden did it. the taliban guys you seem to sympathize with were trying to buy time. that is all, junior g man.