definition of fetish.

tonksy

websters says that a fetish is the excessive or irrational devotion to an activity. maybe we use the word fetish too easily. what do you think constitutes having a fetish?

unclehobart said:
Fetish is using a feather. Perversion is using the whole chicken.
no, using a feather is kinky.....not a fetish...but i suppose you could have a feather fetish...

It becomes a fetish at the point when gratification/stimulation is achievable only when the particular element is used.

If one cannot achieve arousal/interest/climax without their bondage, latex, asphyxia, ball gag, S&M ... bla, bla... then its a psychological barrier that is classifiable as a fetish. Most are harmless... some are quite dangerous and disturbing.

unclehobart said:
It becomes a fetish at the point when gratification/stimulation is achievable only when the particular element is used.

If one cannot achieve arousal/interest/climax without their bondage, latex, asphyxia, ball gag, S&M ... bla, bla... then its a psychological barrier that is classifiable as a fetish. Most are harmless... some are quite dangerous and disturbing.
is this the psychological definition? if so, i suppose we do use the term fetish too often.

I wouldn't have thought that it would have to be a requirement for climax....At that point I would label it a perversion...

Squiggy said:
I wouldn't have thought that it would have to be a requirement for climax....At that point I would label it a perversion...
yeah, squigs. thats why i started this thread two very different definitions. the social and the psychological....in a way it's good to know i don't have a fetish....psychologically speaking.

unclehobart said:

I think you can have a fetish before it gets to that, although if you are there you definitely have a fetish. I would define it based on sexual arousal etc. by something which "normal" people might not find arousing. Like feet, some people love feet, some think feet are disgusting - the "average" person is probably not all that aroused by feet.

tonks said:
is this the psychological definition? if so, i suppose we do use the term fetish too often.
Its probably close to the defacto book definition... but I didn't use a book. I just pulled that all outta my noggin on the fly. It might be a bit heavy-handed, but closer to the truth than not.

so if you have an interest in something, but you can climax without it, it's prolly not a fetish? hmmm. i still think we need more clarification on the matter. mayhap i will search for dr. ruth's definition....

Have you been looking at my fetish thread, you naughty girl? :whip:
I suppose my doleophilia doesn't qualify as a fetish, since i can climax without it. I guess i'm just kinky. :shrug:

unclehobart said:

This is the definition that I have heard....

when your "obsessions" interferes with your work, your friends, your family, etc. to the point where you can't do without it, than it's a fetish

I guess to me a fetish is something that you spend an inordinate amount of time, money and effort on in order to obtain sexual gratification from it.

LOL - the ex used to tell me I have a shoe fetish....guess he's right to an extent, I still maintain I'd likely have a spontaneous orgasm the day I find that one perfect pair of shoes :p

Back