Dell Certification

greenfreak

Anyone here Dell certified? After two years, I think they might finally pay for me to get certified, and I don't know if there's a bunch of Dell-specific information that I need to know or not... Just tryin to be prepared cus my boss seems to think that it's a 1-2-3 thing, to take a test online. :shrug:

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

I don't know shit about it, but if you get certified, I've got questions. :grinyes:

It's a "DCSE" Dell Certified Systems Engineer. My boss has been promising me for the two years I been here that he'll get me enrolled in a course. Never happened.

Today, I got an uppity Dell rep who wouldn't send me a processor before she got my DCSE #. Nevermind the fact that I already replaced the system board and RAM in said laptop this past week. After you have to replace the system board, the rest is cake.

The problem is, if I damage the laptop in the midst of the DIY job, I void the warranty and we don't get support on the system anymore. Not that I would do that, but I don't want it on my head if my screwdriver slips or something.

The other option is to have a Dell rep come out and do it. And you just know what that must cost. :rolleyes:

I'm about to take the A+ test this summer. Hell, Dell's right here and I never heard of DCSE. Like PT, if you get it I have questions. :D

http://www.learndell.com/v2.1/dell/frameset.html

$800. to go out there for classroom study :eek:

We're goin for the $179.00 for self study which includes the test price; they give you the html links to study from. I'll only need the tests for the Optiplex and the Latitude. Looks like it's along the lines of A+ anyway, with some Dell idiosynchricies here and there.

I was told to go ahead and order it, but Dell hasn't responded to me with the registration info yet. It's nice using my boss' sign on to order all this stuff. :D

If you register and you have a company number, you can get access to all the training materials right away. The $179. part comes when you want to take the test.

It all looks pretty basic to me so far, just service manuals on how to replace parts, really.

Well good, any schematics of the front panels on a 4300? USB ports, Headphone jack, etc..?:D

Sorry babe, since these are field replaceable units, they're only going to give you instructions on how to take the entire unit out and replace it with another. Since Dell techs only use Dell parts, they don't got that info. :(

Yup, was just gonna say that, they won't go into detail how to actually troubleshoot/fix the pcb, since the parts are replaceable modules its easier to just replace it.

At least now I have flash codes so I'll know what the problems are before I call them. Although the flash codes for the laptop that started all this points to memory and a new stick of RAM turned out not to be the solution so :shrug:

Oh well, I pulled the front panel out of my wifes pc, and now it's in my drawer. I'll get around to testing it out one of these days and see if I can figure out the wiring schematic on it then. If I do, I'm gonna post it up on my webspace for all to see too.

Mwhahahahahhahahaha....

I'm such a rebel.

Dell's one of the few that I'm not certified on. I only certified on stuff we sell, and Dell prefers to direct sell.

Back