Did you cry when you saw the pictures on television?

Jeslek

Banned
I did. I'm a very emotional person, and I was in a philosophy lecture that morning when someone rushed in and asked the professor if he could make an announcement. When he broke the news, we were all silent. We could not believe it. Then, people got up and started leaving. Others started praying. I left to get to the nearest TV, and you could hear a pin drop in the cafeteria. When the images flashed by, people started crying. Not even Americans, but Canadians.

Where were you? What was the circumstances? And how did the people react?

ris

i had the dubious pleasure of telling the department.

my missus rang from her office to tell me that one plane had hit the first tower at about 2pm. at the time it was speculated that it was an accident. we had a little telly in the office [micro-portable job], when i turned it on the second had just hit [this was all on bbc news24].

i then ran over to the library where i knew that the a/v room had a larger telly and got the librarian in to help me set it up properly. we then watched the rest unfold. every so often i would get a call from my missus, or go and speak to people who were in meetings and just coming out.

when i went home we spent the entire evening watching news24.

Scanty

Okay, I'm going to be totally honest and I hope some people can relate to this.

I just remember sitting on the couch watching the news programs, and literally willing myself to cry because...it was like...I knew I should be. But the truth is it all seemed so unreal and hard to fathom. I cried a little, but not much.
I was just sitting there, desperately trying to make it real in my head, if you get what I mean...so I could feel the emotion more clearly and fully understand the situation as it was.

It's quite hard to explain. I suppose I just felt a little detached and far away from what was happening.
Which I was, of course.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well, I started the day off the way I do most days, getting on my puter. The difference was, for some reason, my wife had left the television on in the family room that day before she left for work. When the first plane hit, I left my computer and just stared at the tv. Couldn't believe it. They were talking accident, and couldn't figure out how the navigation system could have been that far off, when of course, the second plane hit, then the pentagon, then the plane in Pennsylvania, it was all just unreal. I stayed glued to the tv until 11, when I had to go to work. At the time I managed a Bar/Restaurant, and I remember that day all too well. I think we had a total of four lunch customers that day, and all four sat at the bar so they could watch and listen to the tv. I don't remember ever crying, I just remember feeling lost all day, like I wasn't in reality.

greenfreak

I do cry, it's still present tense to me and probably will be for a long time.

I called in sick to work that day. I wasn't really sick, I just didn't feel like going in. The phone woke me up, it was Rusty calling from his cellphone. He said he walked out of the subway and looked up to see what everyone was looking at and took this picture:

WTC.JPG

He just happened to take the camera to work that day for the first time. We stayed on the phone as he walked to the office on Broadway (in the hot zone, just a few blocks from the towers) and when he got there, we hung up. I was alone and didn't know what to do besides watch tv so I did what many people do when they're scared and alone. I called my Mommy. :) She said they were speculating about terrorism and I just blew off that comment as outrageous. We stayed on the phone for a while and as I was watching the first tower burn, I saw the explosion in the second tower. I didn't see the plane the first time, but was horrified to see it the second time they replayed it. I kept trying to figure out how it was that two planes could accidentally crash into those two buildings and how the firemen were going to reach the top floors with the fire hoses. When the first tower collapsed, I still couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, a TOWER collapsing?! That just doesn't happen. There was so much smoke, you couldn't really see the second tower go. While the dust was settling, I kept looking for the outline of something. I don't remember when I stopped looking and started believing that all this was really happening.

The phone lines were being assaulted and I got sporadic phone calls from Rusty. Rusty's Mom also worked in Manhattan and there was no answer on her phone either. For the rest of the day, I was routing information between Rusty, his Mom and his Dad to try to get them home. It took them 7 and a half hours, but they both got home safe.

During those hours, the acts of kindness that he witnessed firsthand and I on tv were what I remember most. An old woman falling in the street and a stranger picking her up and bringing her into a store giving away drinks and food for free. A woman helping another dial the pay phone because she was shaking so much, she couldn't hit the right numbers. All the people who gathered in the parks to find solace in the company of strangers. All of them the same--bending and breaking under the spectacular grief, all the same gray color from the soot falling around them.

I still can't hear or see planes flying overhead without worrying. Being on the final approach to the largest airport in NYC, that's tough. I can't see older images of the towers without being sad, and I can't see images of that day without crying. I had friends who worked in the towers and the smaller buildings that made up the WTC that made it out, or through circumstance, weren't in their offices that day. I can't imagine the grief of those left behind, it must be overwhelming.

In addition to the people who lost thier lives that day, NYC lost a friend. Those towers were the friend of everyone who lived here, and the skyline is so empty and small without them. I applaud the people who keep them visible, I don't want to forget no matter how much it hurts.[/i]

Scanty

Wow, Greenie thankyou for sharing that. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people in New York and the friends and relatives of the workers in the towers.

Hey, everyone, just a little thing if anyone is interested. I am a member on the offical Moby website, and every day for the last two or three years without fail, he writes journel updates and posts them on the site.
I was thinking about 9/11 one day and getting upset because I couldn't imagine what it was like for someone living in New York, so I looked back over his updates to the ones around the time of the terrorist attacks.
I was not taking any sort of morbid fascination. I wanted to understand more, the effects of what actually happened.

Moby is a very intelligent person and writer, and his entries around that time...especially on the morning he woke up to find smoke coming through his windows...are truly touching.

http://www.moby.com/index2.html

MitchSchaft

I had just gotten out of bed and getting ready for work when I saw it on TV. It was right before the 1st one collapsed. I was too pissed. I was pissed that just months earlier I got out of the Marine Corps. This is one of the reasons why I had enlisted in the first place.

greenfreak

Scanty said:
Wow, Greenie thankyou for sharing that. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the people in New York and the friends and relatives of the workers in the towers.

Hey, everyone, just a little thing if anyone is interested. I am a member on the offical Moby website, and every day for the last two or three years without fail, he writes journel updates and posts them on the site.
I was thinking about 9/11 one day and getting upset because I couldn't imagine what it was like for someone living in New York, so I looked back over his updates to the ones around the time of the terrorist attacks.
I was not taking any sort of morbid fascination. I wanted to understand more, the effects of what actually happened.

Moby is a very intelligent person and writer, and his entries around that time...especially on the morning he woke up to find smoke coming through his windows...are truly touching.

http://www.moby.com/index2.html

You're welcome and thank you too... :)

Rusty checks Moby's site regularly, he's also a big fan. He reads me excerpts once in a while and we both read all about his thoughts on 9/11. Rusty keeps thinking he's going to see him one day on the street and buy him some coffee or something. :)

Jeslek

Banned
MitchSchaft said:
I had just gotten out of bed and getting ready for work when I saw it on TV. It was right before the 1st one collapsed. I was too pissed. I was pissed that just months earlier I got out of the Marine Corps. This is one of the reasons why I had enlisted in the first place.
My heart is tearing me apart for going to Waterloo instead of enlisting. I have an unholy drive to enlist, and I want to do that right now so bad. But, I have to be sensible. :) If the need be there for conscriptions, I will DEFINITELY go before they even pass drafting legislation.

MitchSchaft

We'll never see a draft again. But, I fealt the same way you did. That burning itch to kill somebody;)(j/k!)I figured you only have 1 chance to enlist, but you can go to school no matter what age you are. It's an experience I think everyone should go through. Having a Marine Corps Drill Instructor yell in your ear so loud that it rings for the next half hour is breathtaking:D lol

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't think I cried. I was in a daze all day though, I remember time seeming to crawl, I remember not knowing what to think. I remember leaving school early with brainsoft to go to his house to watch the live news. I also remember falling asleep about 20min after I got there (I tend to sleep when I am upset or disturbed, I guess it's my way of getting away from it for awhile)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i didn't cry.

i was at school that day, a friend came by and told us, we went to the cafeteria and watched it on the news, everybody was shocked and quiet, although i don't recall seeing anybody crying.

Jeslek

Banned
MitchSchaft said:
I figured you only have 1 chance to enlist, but you can go to school no matter what age you are. It's an experience I think everyone should go through.
That is not helping me at all. :( I don't want to be a university drop out. But I'm scared they won't take me after I graduate. I think I will be 25 then. Gosh I hope they don't reject me on age then.

equinoxe3d

I was going to my literature course at school, when my friend came and stressfully told me planes crashed in both WTC towers. I first thought it was a silly joke, until the teacher and other people began to talk about it. After the course, I went to the main hall where they set TVs to show the news reports; I didn't cry, because I was just under the shock to see such a thing could happen. I watched the news for a good while during the afternoon, just to know exactly how it happened.

Personnally I didn't knew anyone in NY, but I went there one year earlier; the WTC ascension was extremely impressive, and the folks working there were among the most sympatic people I've met in NYC :(

The only WTC pic I still have as a souvenir is some of my friends standing besides the two towers after the ascension:

wtc2000.jpg

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
LastLegionary said:
MitchSchaft said:
I figured you only have 1 chance to enlist, but you can go to school no matter what age you are. It's an experience I think everyone should go through.
That is not helping me at all. :( I don't want to be a university drop out. But I'm scared they won't take me after I graduate. I think I will be 25 then. Gosh I hope they don't reject me on age then.

If I remember right, they'll take new recruits up to 34? As long as you're in good physical condition.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I was too busy gathering information on the crash to have time to cry. I've shed a few tears since then, mostly at the in-depth stories of the humanity that was destroyed.

Jeslek

Banned
PuterTutor said:
LastLegionary said:
MitchSchaft said:

If I remember right, they'll take new recruits up to 34? As long as you're in good physical condition.
Ah thanks! Thats better. Yes I'm in good physical condition, and will be training in any case. I'm not awfully strong, and I don't have a lot of stamina, but I will be doing something about that. :)

freako104

yes and i still do. i still cry when i hear it and wednesday the anniversary i probly will shed many tears.
figured you only have 1 chance to enlist, but you can go to school no matter what age you are.

thats somewhat true and when i was in HS i wanted to join but the parents didnt let me. still dont want me to join ever. but they were trying to get kids back then. in college they stopped. i havent seen any recruiters on campus even after 9/11.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Actually, you can enlist in Active Duty only until 27 1/2 years of age. The National Guard/Reserves will take you until 34, but only if you are prior service. If you are a medical doctor, they will take you until you're 40. That's the only exemption that I know of.