Did you know...?

Jeslek

Banned
The letters "jj" are found only in:

- Dhul'l-jiddah (12 month on Islam's calendar)
- Avijja (ignoring the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism)
- Hajj (Muslim pilgramage)
- Hajji
- Ujjain (city in India)
- Crigler-Najjar syndrome
- Kuujjuaq, a village in Canada
- Kangiqsualujjuaq, an Inuit (Eskimo for those of you that don't know Inuit) village in Quebec

:D I bet you didn't! (neither did I for most part hehe)

The letters "aaa" are found in:

- Kaaawa, a city in Hawaii
- Faaa, a city in Tahiti
- Näätäaaapa, a marsh in Finland (some consider ä and a different though)
- Oueaiaaare means, in Estonian, "edge of a fence around a yard"
- Numerous verbs in Tagalog
- Cavaticovelia aaa, a bug in Hawaii (actually it is a troglobitic mesoveliid) (aaa appears to be Hawaiin for lava tube?)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch is a town in Wales.

Someone, please tell me how to pronounce it. You ris, in particular.

Attachment(s):

gales.jpg, 81.12kb

149_1029987010.jpg

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is in Massachusetts.

Attachment(s):

lakeap.jpg, 51.75kb

149_1029987417.jpg

LastLegionary said:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch is a town in Wales.

"LL" is pronounced like you are coughing up a furball or gathering phelgm in the back of your throat. All the "g's" are hard, "w" is "oo". "Y's" are all open "i" sounds (edit - it would seem not, lol) and "och" is just like the Scottish, "Och I, laddie... I've had bigger pieces of corn in me crap" etc. That's about it I think...

Edit: shite, yeah I ain't Welsh and don't have a clue what I am talking about. Ah well... think got most of it right from guessin' and my old Maths teacher. Stupid leek-eating, sheep fetishists...

not welsh, so don't need to know how to pronounce it P

annoyingly, it seems to be the only welsh word some people here do know nuts2

breaking it down into composite word-bits
[note, in welsh, ll is a 'ch' sound made at the back of the throat. y is an 'erh' sound, w is a soft 'ooh', unless at the start of a word, f is a v, r's are rolled]

Llanfair [chlanvair
pwll poochh
gwyn gooerhn
gyll gerhch
gogery gogererh
chwyrndrob chooherhrndrob
wyll ooherhch
-llantysilio chlanterhsilio
gogogoch gogogoch]

incidentally, it was made the longest place name delieberately in the mid-1800s by the victorians as a tourist pull.

mate, you were pretty much spot on. especially the ll sound. explains why welsh people always have a cold - it helps pronunciation :D

I think they always have colds from the "outdoor" activities they like to engage in. You know, find a nice little field with nobody watching and just go for the nearest...

LastLegionary said:
The letters "aaa" are found in:

- Kaaawa, a city in Hawaii
- Faaa, a city in Tahiti
- Näätäaaapa, a marsh in Finland (some consider ä and a different though)
- Oueaiaaare means, in Estonian, "edge of a fence around a yard"
- Numerous verbs in Tagalog
- Cavaticovelia aaa, a bug in Hawaii (actually it is a troglobitic mesoveliid) (aaa appears to be Hawaiin for lava tube?)

actually, that's not quite correct ... Ka'a'awa is the correct way to spell it and the 'okina, or glottal stop (backwords apostrophe) is an actual character and is considered a letter .. so if you're spelling that word, you'd say "K-a-'okina-a-'okina-a-w-a". Depending on where the 'okina is, it can change the whole meaning of the word. For example:

a'a'a is a network of veins
'a'a'a is the clothlike sheath at the base of a coconut frond

the lava tube thing is 'a'a with a line over the last "a" to elongate the sound.

test on Monday everyone.

:D

LastLegionary said:

Must be hell to write a letter to someone in that town.

hehehehe, in wales the place is known as llanfair-p-g, just because pronouncing it is such a 10minute affair. i wonder if a letter addressed that way would work? :D

Back