Did you know?

Jeslek

Banned
That "U.S." is always an adjective? It is not a noun, so please don't start sentences with "The U.S. ...." :p

I like that interjection. :D

Odd question: Do you guys put ONE or TWO spaces between sentences? I still have a habit of putting two spaces because I started typing when I was 6 or so on a typewriter and that was the rule.

Screw that, I still use two, it's the rule I learned to type with, and will be the rule of my typing til I'm gone.

:D This board even removes the second space. Watch. This is a quote from you:

tobacco farmers is done. There are still
1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9 1 3 5 7 9

fury said:
Jeslek said:
This board even removes the second space.
Actually it's the web browser that removes it. Excess whitespace is ignored in HTML. :headbang:

hmm, then why the browser won't ignore them when you use the code tag ;)

Test:

tobacco farmers is done. There are still

Code:
tobacco farmers is done.    There are still

Because it's done through the <pre></pre> tag in which the browser leaves the whitespace formatting intact. This effect can also be achieved through the CSS whitespace attribute (or something along those lines) but shouldn't really be applied to the whole page (wouldn't want all your tabs and such showing up, would you?)

fury said:
Because it's done through the <pre></pre> tag in which the browser leaves the whitespace formatting intact. This effect can also be achieved through the CSS whitespace attribute (or something along those lines) but shouldn't really be applied to the whole page (wouldn't want all your tabs and such showing up, would you?)

you're right, i just saw the code of this page, the spaces are there.

Anyway, i thought you meant that the browser removes them before submiting the text.

U.S. is an adjective? What is it describing? Is it a noun when the U.S.A. is used...in which case US is describing America?

US seems more like a proper noun...like Canada. non?

The term United States isnt an automatic referral to the U.S.of A. United States could mean many things... such as Estados Unidos Mexicanos... the United States of Mexico. Many nations are comprised of states .. and those states are for the most part... *gasp* ... united.

MrBishop said:
U.S. is an adjective? What is it describing? Is it a noun when the U.S.A. is used...in which case US is describing America?

US seems more like a proper noun...like Canada. non?
The U.S. government today announced ...

The U.S. Department of Defense ...

The U.S. Constitution ...

U.S.A. is a proper noun.

And don't forget the periods. :)

In formal writing Microsoft Word says you're wrong if you only have one space between sentences...

Back