Digital television delayed

MrBishop

Curious.
Barack wants to stay analog
By Melissa Hank
2009-01-09

Obama asks Congress to delay digital TV

Is U.S. president-elect Barack Obama powerful enough to halt the progress of technology? It looks like he is – at least for a while.
Yesterday Obama asked Congress to postpone the Feb. 17 switch to all-digital broadcast television, claiming a TV blackout could affect (and possibly anger) millions of viewers, reports the Chicago Tribune. No word on how long the switchover would be delayed.

The turnover was touted as the biggest thing to happen to TV since colour broadcasts, and was supposed to offer sharper pictures and more free viewing options. It also was supposed to free airwaves for public safety and wireless Internet access.

But, the Tribune rightly claims, shoddy government planning is spotlighted instead. Although Congress made $19.6 billion last year by auctioning the now-free airwaves to telecommunications companies (which could offer new wireless services), it only set aside less than $2 billion to fund the transition.

Which proved to be insufficient. In order for viewers to receive digital signals, those who use antennas must either get a new TV with a digital receiver or a converter box, which can cost at least $40 to $70. (Those who use cable, satellite or phone company TV services will still get their regular stations.)

To help those in dire financial straits buy the boxes, the federal government put aside $1.5 billion, which would give households up to two $40 coupons.

And here’s the kicker. On Monday, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration announced the program was out of money. There is currently a waiting list of about 1.1 million coupon requests, which have 90 days till they expire.

Which means an estimated 7.7 million U.S. households must either foot the bill for the boxes or go without their favourite shows.

“With coupons unavailable, support and education insufficient, and the most vulnerable Americans exposed, I urge you to consider a change to the legislatively-mandated analog cutoff date,” wrote the co-chairman of Obama's presidential transition team, John Podesta, to the Senate Commerce Committee and the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

For their part, reps for The National Association of Broadcasters claimed they would work with Obama and Congress "to ensure a successful DTV transition." News Corp., which owns 27 broadcast stations, echoed those sentiments.

Apparently, even amid an economic crisis, viewers can’t go without their favourite shows.

Thoughts? [email protected]

nalani

Hawaii is sticking to its January 15th move to digital, no matter what.

How much money did they allocate for this program? And how did they arrive at that number? Does anyone know?

pc_builder

God forbid they miss an episode of Lost or some other drivel.

A TV blackout would get those potatoes off their duffs and to the electronics store. Didn't Obama think about all the people who do have their boxes? They'll be just as angry, thinking they've wasted their money on the converter boxes if analog is sticking around.

The transition should happen as planned. Everyone's been told for at least the last year or two that analog tv is going away. There's been enough marketing and commercials. No one can claim they weren't warned.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The FCC chairman already said no to Obamas request.

As for people being pissed that they'll miss All my Children...they've been talking about this switch for over twenty years & the original date ('96 I think) has been pushed back repeatedly. They've been harping on the 2009 date for 4 years. Get over it. Maybe it's time to give up TV.

chcr

Too cute for words
As long as society keeps kowtowing to the bottom 10%, it will never advance.

Although this does remind me of the Vogons saying that the plan for the hyperspace bypass had been posted at Alpha centauri for decades. :D

Inkara1

I have DirecTV as well, and three TVs (I live alone). But I do pay for it and I realize having multiple TVs is a luxury that no one else should subsidize.