Diplomacy ain't what it used to be

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
UN chief Kofi Annan has accused Israel of deliberately bombing a UN observation post and killing four peacekeepers

First off, the leading diplomat of the leading world diplomacy council will make more resolutions conmdemming Israel.

Assuming Israel didn't target the UN (they should have) why would the first response be "it's deliberate"? Isn't Koffee supposed to be a leader? Maybe he doesn't like Israel (that would explain a whole bunch of stuff)

Secondly...wtf is UN peacekeeping force doing in the middle of a war zone? There is no peace to keep. Are they looking to get shot?

Israel finally got the backing it deserves. After Clinton sways under world pressure, Bush & his cabinet have made it clear that the war on terror includes not interfering with Israel ending terrorism in its backyard.

Rice said the United States favors urgently ending the Israeli- Hezbollah fighting but that there cannot be a return to a status quo of political uncertainty and instability in Lebanon.

Almost every nation attending the conference in Rome has pressed Rice to call for an immediate end to the fighting on the Israeli-Lebanese border.

But Rice stood her ground in two days of diplomacy in Lebanon and Israel and the West Bank. Rather than a quick fix, she has repeatedly said the region needs enduring solutions, and other U.S. officials have raised doubts about an immediate cease-fire between Israel and Hezbollah fighters in the south of Lebanon.

The stausa quo that the UN so impatiently awaits (allowing those opposed to Israel to re-arm.

Annan said any solution to the Mideast crisis should involve Iran and Syria.

Another in a long line of (non) surprises.

Breitbart

UN chief Kofi Annan has accused Israel of deliberately bombing a UN observation post and killing four peacekeepers

If the Isreal troops had targeted the "peacekeepers" there would be far more then four dead, if they could find the bodies...

Whether mistake, or on purpose, should not have been done. Israel should apologize, and be on guard against this type of thing.

according to the article I posted, A Canadian, a Chinese, an Austrian, and a Finn? Finnish? Finlander? Person from Finland?

highwayman said:
If the Isreal troops had targeted the "peacekeepers" there would be far more then four dead, if they could find the bodies...

1. There are no UN peacekeepers in Lebanon. There are UN observers, but they are not there to fight.
2. Israel gave warning that, if you are near their targets, you might get hurt/killed.

the UN should have pulled them. They should have moved back. I wish Israel had aimed a little more to the left after the 6th call.

Sad thing.

paul_valaru said:
Whether mistake, or on purpose, should not have been done. Israel should apologize, and be on guard against this type of thing.

Rule #1 in war. Don't hang around a target area if you don't have to.

Leslie said:
the UN should have pulled them. They should have moved back. I wish Israel had aimed a little more to the left after the 6th call.

Sad thing.

It's a war. Some things happen you don't plan for...

Where is Koffee? Why isn't he shouting apologies from the rooftops?

A Canadian U.N. observer, one of four killed at a UNIFIL position near the southern Lebanese town of Khiyam on Tuesday, sent an e-mail to his former commander, a Canadian retired major-general, Lewis MacKenzie, in which he wrote that Hezbollah fighters were "all over" the U.N. position, Mr. MacKenzie said. Hezbollah troops, not the United Nations, were Israel's target, the deceased observer wrote.

NY Sun

La La La
huh Oh OK
Hizzys got wacked Um Oh well

back to yer regularly scheduled progie

spike said:
and sometimes plan to get rid of observers because you've something to hide.

Did you even read what was going on? The Canadian troop sent an e-mail to his commander with a complaint about Hezbollah, and you claim the attack was because they were hiding something? You are hereby ignored due to your complete lack of insight...

Gato_Solo said:
Did you even read what was going on? The Canadian troop sent an e-mail to his commander with a complaint about Hezbollah, and you claim the attack was because they were hiding something? You are hereby ignored due to your complete lack of insight...

Yes, I did read what was going on. Looks like now it might have been 12 calls instead of 6.

I didn't "claim" anything. You said sometimes certain things happen in war and I said sometimes other things happen.

If you feel compelled ignore anything that doesn't correspond to a very narrow view instead of being able to discuss a topic then please be my guest. The discussion is probably better off without you.

Back