diving

kuulani

My boyfriend just took nalani's son diving. I hope the ocean's flat enough for them to get in a good dive 'cause that'll mean dinner tonight :D

kuulani

He usually 3-prongs reef fish, like:

uhu - parrot fish
kole - surgeonfish
weke - goatfish
kumu - goatfish
moana kali - goatfish

:licklips:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Originally posted by kuulani

weke - goatfish
kumu - goatfish
moana kali - goatfish

How come there are 3 kinds of goatfish? I smell a conspiracy... :eek:

nalani

they cooked up the fish the other night ... I was in heaven!
They fried up the kole (sorry, I don't know the English names of most fish ... ku'u, on the other hand, not only knows the English names of fish, but she also knows the scientific names of these fish - that's cause she's really smart) and they steamed the uhu with lup cheung (Chinese sausage), brocolli, carrots, and lemon ... it was soooooo delicious! *smacking my lips* ... I love have functional children who love learning from the uncles :)

kuulani

Originally posted by Gato_Solo

weke - goatfish
kumu - goatfish
moana kali - goatfish

How come there are 3 kinds of goatfish? I smell a conspiracy... :eek:

Because, the Hawaiian system of categorizing fishies is much more descriptive than the English system. Wherease, we need three names to differentiate these fishies, the English language only sees these fishies as one. :)

For instance, the word "snow". Hawaiians only have one word for "snow", but Alaskans must have tons of words for it.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I ate too much fish when I was in Hawaii. Seemed like every meal was mahi-mahi. For breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks... they'd have mahi-mahi pancakes, mahi-mahi pizza... grilled, fried, boiled, steamed, with vegetables, with other fish, as casseroles, as pasta............

Originally posted by nalani
I love have functional children who love learning from the uncles :)

Hahaha ... tease my use of English, and I can tease you right back :p

am confused, is there a haiwiaan language other than english?, no offense, i'm just daft :headbang: