DJ software setup?

tommyj27

Not really Banned
so, apparently by virtue (or curse) of having rather large speakers, i've been nominated to haul it down to my buddies for his sister's grad party tomorrow. we aren't doing anything too fancy, we're planning to use my laptop as a source and I'm pretty sure Windows is the way to go, since there isn't much development done on linux. Not being especially up-to-date with windows software I'm curious if anyone has done anything like this or has any recommendations for free (as in beer) software. All I think I need is to be able to queue tracks from a playlist, manage the queue, and maybe crossfade between tracks. Some sweet visualizations would be nice too. I've been thinking about using Winamp and finding some plugins to do what I need, but I'm not opposed to using another program either. And as an added caveat, whatever I use has to support vorbis ogg, since 99% of my library is .ogg

The name escapes me, but I used a great plugin for Winamp 2.8 to crossfade tracks when we ran a radio station. I'll have to look it up when I get home, but I'm sure there are lots out there now (as this was four years ago). Winamp was the lightest weight software (that was free) at the time. Maybe someone has newer and better is out now though.

Winamp 5.x crossfades by default, i think. Lemme check.
Edit: Nope, but Foobar2000 has a crossfader. Use google.

WMP isn't real friendly to anything open source, since i need ogg support it's out of the question. That Foobar thing looks interesting but my buddy wants to use winamp since it's kinda tried-and-true. we'll prolly try both.

Back