Do you think we've been visited by aliens?

Have we ever been visited by aliens?

• yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

chcr

Too cute for words
I started thinking about this because of the Europa thread.

My take is: Until someone proves that faster than light travel is possible, it's the speed limit of the universe. That makes travel between the stars almost impossible. I also think if we had been visited, some concrete evidence would have surfaced.

Just my opinion.

I'm here... what more can I say... ;)

Seriously, I think it presumptive to assume that we are the most advanced and only beings in this vast universe.

If we have been visited and I were an alien I certainly wouldn't want to make contact with such a warlike and frankly barbaric race that kills it's own for such trivial reasons.

Aunty Em said:
Seriously, I think it presumptive to assume that we are the most advanced and only beings in this vast universe.
I didn't say there weren't any, just that I don't believe we've been visited. You're right, it's arrogant to the point of stupididty to believe we're the only intelligent life in the universe. With the speed of light as a limitatiion though, it's unlikely we'll ever meet any of them.

Aunty Em said:
If we have been visited and I were an alien I certainly wouldn't want to make contact with such a warlike and frankly barbaric race that kills it's own for such trivial reasons.
I'm afraid that such aggressiveness is one of the prerequisites of intelligence. :shrug:

I had to vote no, but that's a tough one.

I absoultely believe there are countless other intelligent civilizations out there. I also believe that it is possible that c is not the ultimate speed limit. Threfore, I think it is at least possible that other civilizations could have traveled this far.

I just don't think the evidence supports that having happened. And I don't think the logic supports why they would have come here. Our radio waves haven't even traveled that far into space yet, so from distant stars they would have no reason to be even mildly interested in us (and, quite possibly, no way of knowing that there was life on this planet).

Or, it could be possible that interstellar travel is just a pain in the ass for any civilization, no matter how advanced, and thus no one has bothered to come our way.

chcr said:
I started thinking about this because of the Europa thread.

My take is: Until someone proves that faster than light travel is possible, it's the speed limit of the universe. That makes travel between the stars almost impossible. I also think if we had been visited, some concrete evidence would have surfaced.

Just my opinion.
An interesting sidenote. how many have read the Rama series, I think Arthur C. Clarke wrote it. That was based on sub-light-speed travel.

I've visited them twice. But do you think they'ld have the courtesy to return the favor. No!......Stupid aliens :disgust2:

I guess it depends on your definition of visited. I think we've been observed, but until we get our heads out of our asses there is no way they would come and visit. I mean, hell, we'd just start shooting at them.

i think this planet has been visited and the human race is maybe some sort of experiment that has either gone awry or has been forgotten.
consider that humans started as insignificant hominoids and evolved to the point where we dominate the planet and have obtained very crude forms of space travel in a mear 5 million years. dinosaurs, on the other hand, dominated the planet for nearly 200 million years and never made major evolutionary changes.

human evolution

dino evolution

the human timeline has major jumps. the dinosaurs stayed the same.

comments?

That's exactly what I was thinking. You can sum up human evolution in one word. Thumbs.

tommyj27 said:
An interesting sidenote. how many have read the Rama series, I think Arthur C. Clarke wrote it. That was based on sub-light-speed travel.
I've read it. It's very interesting. If you notice in the movie Independence Day, those ships were probably slower than light as well. Imagine the resources it would take to build one.

Spot said:
i think this planet has been visited and the human race is maybe some sort of experiment that has either gone awry or has been forgotten.
Pan-dimensional computer built to find out what the question about life, the universe and everything is, to which the answer is 42???:D (of course, that means we're all really descended from hair stylists and phone sanitizers and such)

chcr said:
Spot wrote:

Pan-dimensional computer built to find out what the question about life, the universe and everything is, to which the answer is 42??? (of course, that means we're all really descended from hair stylists and phone sanitizers and such)

...thought i could slip that by....:D

Back