Does anybody know how to color in Photoshop??

IDLEchild

I am sick of seeing these amazing artworks colored so beautifully in Photoshop.....anyone know how they do it. I am perticularily interested in colors melting into each other...how it goes from one color to another smoothly, like a nice gradient. The best I can it to look is like a rushed marker rendering. I would love to know how they color it so precisely and beautifully in photoshop..even with a mouse.

Hair isn't done yet, I mainly focused on the face. While I am at it I would also like to know how to render hair so beautifully in photoshop.

Thank you...I could look for tutorials but they get boring (attention span of a rat here)...some tips and tricks would be helpful..maybe I am using the wrong brushes. This was done with a hard edge brush with various different opacity levels of a same color.

There IS a gradient tool. and it can be customized to no end...Not sure exactly what effect you're trying to accomplish. :confused:

You can draw a line around the area that you want to colour in with the PEN tool, turn it into a selection and then use the Gradient tool to work the colouring. This works better in Illustrator though, where you can go in, create a grid and affect individual parts of the grid instead of a radial or linear gradient, which might not give you the effect that you're looking for.

Or you use the airbrush by setting the ressure really low, like 3% or so, or you color it with Image->Adjust->Color Balance.

I don't know if this helps, but, when the Mac operators (graphic artists) where I work are working on an image, they zoom into the image until the pixels are HUGE. Then they apply color to small groups of pixels. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Never mind.

I think tutorials are your best bet...there are a gazillion different tools and mastering just ONE effect sometimes uses three or four of them...I remember I was doing one where you could make a picture and then wrinkle it to looks like cloth...that took me quite awhile to learn..there usually isn't just one quick fix technique...

Sharky - Yeah...but that is horribly time consuming....thats the way pors go about it.

Nixy - I am too lazy...i know tutorials would be but goddamn my lazyness.

I tried something new and i think it helped the coloring....

what do you guys think?

IDLEchild said:
An improved version.
I'd put a liiiitle bit less red into it and a tad more yellow. IMO she looks like she's been out in the cold and has rosy cheeks... but the coloring job is very nice nonetheless. Which method did you use, btw?

Kawaii

Oh yes i know that color is very unrealistic. At the time I just happen to use whatever color was there and it happened to be that one.

As for the method, well i used a hard edged brush to color it in with the mouse and then used the smudge tool on mostly 38% strength to smooth it out.

This is with the improved color.

There are a couple of Photoshop brushes that you can DL as well.

What you have now reminds me of watercolours..nice

Squiggy said:
furbo filters has a filter for creating hair. At least I think it was furbo...

Whoa..do tell...Making hair has been my biggest hurdle...if you have anymore info that would be great. Thanks.

Back