Does collage have anything to do with 1) making money and 2) becoming successful in l

Inkara1

Camelyn said:
That luxury was always reserved for those who could afford it.

And for people like my grandfather, who grew up on a farm in Florida with no money, studied hard, got scholarships to pay for his education at the University of Florida, and slept in the attic of the dorm hall.

He wasn't rich at all, and in fact poor might have been an improvement. But he worked very hard at his studies.

HomeLAN

By the way an MBA, if you're going for that, don't bother. Get a job at McDonalds, work your way up to management, you will make more faster than if you get that MBA.

That hasn't been my experience. My MBA has paid off in spades.

Professur

MrBishop said:
Yes. but with a huge but at the end of that sentence. Do NOT go to college or university aiming to get just any degree. You have to have a concrete path that you want to take in your career path before choosing which department you enter.

I've seen people go to University and get out with Masters degrees in Liberal Arts or English Lit and they might as well have kept the money and spent it on a Mustang. The Mustang would've impressed the interiewer more. With a clearly defined path in mind, by all means, get the degree...work hard, study hard and leave the booze and drugs for after school is over...when it's time to party and you can actually afford it.

When you've got your mind made, go and talk to someone in the field that you want to be in. A Public Relations officer or a HR Manager will be able to tell you what kind of degree/skill-set/experience that their company is looking for and what they might be looking for in a few years. That 'real-world' contact will serve you better than any school counsellor...believe it!

As for being happy...it's tough to be happy while working at McD's and with nothing in your pocket but lint...don't let anyone fool you. Money can and does buy happiness.

Last point...when you choose what you want to do with your career...choose something fun, or rather, something that you would find fun. Nothing sucks more than doing something that you hate day-in day-out. You'll get sick of it and choose another career...unfortunatly one that might not fit your education or degree.

Take it from a guy with a BA in Sociology, who'se a Graphic Designer and a Parish Administrator. $10k in the hole and a piece of framed paper on the wall to show for it...reminds me...I really have to dust it one day, the accumulation is making it tilt to the left.

I, on the other hand, got booted outta the same college. Never went on to university, and am top man in my field, making enough that the missus doesn't have to work.

My rule no. 1. Find something you enjoy doing. If college can make you better at it, by all means, go. If college won't help, don't waste your time. And for Gawd's sake, don't go into something because your parents, a counsellor, or anyone else tells you to. I told Bish a decade ago to get outta that medicrap and into computer design. The man is an artist. Not a doctor. Finally, he listens to me, and listen to him now. Happy as a clam.

chcr

Too cute for words
Prof said:
My rule no. 1. Find something you enjoy doing. If college can make you better at it, by all means, go. If college won't help, don't waste your time. And for Gawd's sake, don't go into something because your parents, a counsellor, or anyone else tells you to. I told Bish a decade ago to get outta that medicrap and into computer design. The man is an artist. Not a doctor. Finally, he listens to me, and listen to him now. Happy as a clam.

Well put.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
HomeLAN said:
That hasn't been my experience. My MBA has paid off in spades.
IT may just be my area then, but they are a dime a dozen around here.

Professur

Oh, computer degrees ie: software and programming are only useful for the first year. After that, you may as well wipe your ass with them. The industry just moves too damn fast. But as PT said, you might need one to get your foot in the door. But beyond that ..... it's who and what you know. Emphasis on the who.

Camelyn

Inkara1 said:
And for people like my grandfather, who grew up on a farm in Florida with no money, studied hard, got scholarships to pay for his education at the University of Florida, and slept in the attic of the dorm hall.

He wasn't rich at all, and in fact poor might have been an improvement. But he worked very hard at his studies.

I believe I implied that getting an education just for the intellectual pursuit of higher learning was a luxury reserved for those who could afford it. The rest get that education with career goals in mind. I never meant to imply that that refered to getting an education in general. I would assume your grandfather worked that hard so that he could make himself a better life then his parents had.

rrfield

I graduated college just over a year ago (Indiana University) and I would not trade the knowledge and skills I gained for anything. I'm $20,000 in debt, but I view college as an investment. Right out of college I got a job that pays me well. I would not have been hired without the degree.

The day I graduated from college was one of the happiest days of my life. I felt a great sense of accomplishment..and relief.

I know lots of people who dropped out of college - or just didn't go - because they felt they had to take too many courses they didn't want to take. Guess what? In the real world, you have to do things you don't want to do. All these extra classes make you think and learn about topics you would otherwise never consider thinking or learning about. You learn how to learn in college. Besides, as one of my friends put it "what's wrong with learning other stuff?"

College isn't for everybody. Then again, neither is the military.

Thulsa Doom

I had a friend who went straight from high school to being an auto mechanic without blinking while all of us snooty kids went to good schools to get rich. By the time we were juniors he was making $70 grand fixing BMW's. Now hes in his 30s and owns two shops himself and has part ownership in a dealership. I dont even want to know how much he's pulling down. And he was always the dumb one. That being said... if you look at the numbers getting a college education is better for you then not getting one. Obviously. Id be lieing if I said my degree didnt get me in the door in places just based on school name alone. But if you have a vision and the work ethic then its not mandatory. You can always go back.

Aunty Em

[QUOTE=chcr]Eye halve spell cheque two! :lol:

Unfortunately it just doesn't know what your thinking, does it?[/QUOTE]

Eye have a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss takes eye can knot sea
I’ve run this poem threw it
I’m shore your pleas to no
It’s letter perfect in it’s weigh
My chequer tolled me so

:winkkiss:

Cytro

Ms Ann Thrope said:
It became a path to financial success when people started looking for fulfillment economically, rather than in the pleasure of intellectual discovery and challenge. :mad:

I agree to this statment. Its all about money now.