Dogs: Is there really any (?) left 'bout the way we choose 'em?

75renegade

My Fiance' longs to hold her own, little minature Yorkie! (2-3lbs.)

Already thinkin' of names.........looks like its gonna be, 'Chloe' or 'Lacey'.

I know I'll love it to pieces, all I asked was that she tie a "bell" around its neck................. somethin' that small, brown/black on the floor at night, could easily be "overlooked" even harmed by mistake of footing, an' Lord knows that I don't wanna be guilty of such a foul crime, in the name of gettin' a drink a water in the wee hours!

Suits 'er jus' fine though, in my eyes!:) She, herself is small, an' tenderhearted, yet will fight visciously, for what she believes in!

Myself? Guess my kanine "alignment" gravitates towards a Lab-mix or perhaps a spry little jack-terrier-mix.

'Ow 'bout yerself?:)

75renegade said:
My Fiance' longs to hold her own, little minature Yorkie! (2-3lbs.)

Already thinkin' of names.........looks like its gonna be, 'Chloe' or 'Lacey'.

'Ow 'bout yerself?:)

Wow, name the dog after me, now that makes me special ;)

*hugs you*

Renegade, unless you enjoy paying vet bills, I'd reconsider. Those dogs are notorious for their poor health.

My way of picking a dog is to walk into the pound, and see which dog is most pathetic. If it's in (relatively) good health, .... you know.

We had a Yorkie when I was younger named Gizmo. He could get mean if bothered while eating or yappy when unhappy in a cage or such. I'm more of a larger-dog person myself.

Rusty and I want Labs, and to start we'll probably get a dog from a Lab Rescue organization rather than a puppy. Everyone wants puppies but the older dogs get left behind too often. Not only that, it will acclimate us to taking care of a dog before taking on a project like a new puppy and training and all the fun that goes along with it.

My best friend's dog is a dalmation/border collie mix and I'm going to be taking care of her for a week in February, I can't wait! She gives me my doggie fix because I don't have any of my own. Yet. :)

greenfreak said:
We had a Yorkie when I was younger named Gizmo. He could get mean if bothered while eating or yappy when unhappy in a cage or such. I'm more of a larger-dog person myself.

Rusty and I want Labs, and to start we'll probably get a dog from a Lab Rescue organization rather than a puppy. Everyone wants puppies but the older dogs get left behind too often. Not only that, it will acclimate us to taking care of a dog before taking on a project like a new puppy and training and all the fun that goes along with it.

My best friend's dog is a dalmation/border collie mix and I'm going to be taking care of her for a week in February, I can't wait! She gives me my doggie fix because I don't have any of my own. Yet. :)

I prefer older dogs too as I'm not very consistent when it comes to training, but we have a cat as I had to give my bitch Willow away because it was difficult to take her for walks with Katie in the wheelchair and I didn't have any neighbours who could watch Katie while I did. She's a long-legged, smooth-haired jack russell cross and needed LOTS of walks 'cos she has bags of energy ~ she chewed up the door frames! And she REALLY hated the postman. She was rehomed with a couple who live in the country so she gets plenty of those now. :)

You're certainly right about the training, Auntie. So many people (notably my midguided sister) treat puppies like throw away items. She gets dogs based on looks, not based on what she *should* be basing it on; how well the dog/breed will fit into her family and her life. She's had extremely intelligent but energetic dogs (border collie; lab, etc.) that she didn't spend any time training and then blamed them when they acted out on her house and kids. She's the worst kind of pet owner-she puts no effort into them and has no qualms about getting rid of them when she tires of them.

Including the dogs she brought home when we were all living at home, she's had: a mutt named Carter, a mutt named Tucker, an unnamed German Shepard, a Doberman named Sasha, a Yorkie named Gizmo, a Golden Retriever named Cody, a Rottweiler named Nala, a black Lab named Duncan, a mutt named Yoshi, a Border Collie named Friday, a Cocker Spaniel named lady and the only dog she has now is a mini-Collie named Duffy. Except for Tucker (who I trained and took care of) and Duffy (who is one of those care-free dogs), none of the other dogs lasted more than two years. I've had many a fight with her and her usual defense (for everything) is that she has no time because of all the kids she has and everything she does in her life. When I counter with, "So stop getting dogs!!", she has no answer.

Ok, rant over. :D It just pisses me off when people usually blame the dog--it's usually the person who doesn't take the time to treat the dog right and train them, get them medical attention, etc. that is doing the bitching.

Now my *other* sister did it right. She did research, she went to a reputable breeder (not a puppy farm), she chose a dog that would be ok with her kids, not too much grooming, and with a calm disposition out of their puppy years. It's called a Bouvier Flanders and although I think it's ugly, she loves him. And she TRAINS him. :eek: Who woulda thunk it. My other sister could take lessons from her.

Good points, greenie. (as usual) I hate when people don't select a dog properly and then 'dispose of their mistake'.....I could never do that and I don't understand it. :hmm:

Friday, the Border Collie, was a real heartbreak for me. He was so great, and we would have taken him in a second had I been able to have pets. My sister brought him to the pound and they wound up putting him to sleep. She told my niece that he was adopted by people on a farm who have sheep and that he he's a herding dog now. Bitch! :grumpy:

All three of the ones I have now have been rescued dogs. Cappy lived on a farm and from what I've heard, all his brothers and sisters are dead now, most ran over. Sneakers came from the pound, and Hana came from outside the local Walmart. I'd much rather have dogs like this than a dog that's been pampered all their life. It just makes me feel better knowing I gave them a better life than what they would have had.

I had Willow from a puppy. Her mother was my sister's dog Lucy who had to put to sleep earliar this year. She took her to the vet because she found a lump on her tummy and he said it was cancerous and she had 6 months at most, that he could operate but it would come back. Since she was 16 she decided against putting her through the operation and decided that at the first sign that she was suffering she should be put to sleep. In fact it was only 3 months.

Willow was very boisterous and energetic and not having trained a dog from scratch before I found her quite a handful. In the end I felt it was kinder to her to find her a home with more experienced people who could devote more time to her than I could. I delivered her and her brothers and sister as her oldest brother was a breach and his head got stuck as he was being born, so I had to use washing up liquid as a lubricant(vet's advice), ease him out and then resusitate him. Unfortunately, although we hand fed him he did not survive. So I had a real attachment to her as her mother and the pups could have died if I hadn't been there when she got into difficulties. It broke my heart to have to give her away so I won't have another dog, it's not practical in the circumstances.

i just took the dog to the vets for all his shots. we've had him for almost 3 years now and his weight has gone from 44 lbs to 63 lbs. he's obviously living the good life here. :)

That just reminded me, I need to get an appointment to have Hana spayed. How old do females have to be for fixing?

PuterTutor said:
That just reminded me, I need to get an appointment to have Hana spayed. How old do females have to be for fixing?

Six months I think... my memories getting worse 'cos I can't remember when I had Willow done.

Back