Dogs: Is there really any (?) left 'bout the way we choose 'em?

Female dogs and cats can be spayed when in heat or pregnant. This can usually be done up until a few days before delivery. These surgeries can take longer, and can therefore cost more. Spaying before having a first litter or heat cycle is usually a simpler procedure. The heat cycle for dogs is once or twice a year starting as early as 6 months of age. Duration is 3 weeks. Heat cycles in cats start as early as 6 months and occur every 3-4 weeks during spring through early fall. The gestation period for both dogs and cats is 63 days. Female cats can become pregnant again as soon as 10 days after giving birth (while still nursing the first litter).

http://www.doghause.com/neuter01.html

Oh, well maybe I don't have to worry yet, all the boys have already been nuetered anyway, so unless she gets out, I don't have much to worry about, but I know if she has pups, I'm gonna have 4 or 6 or 8 new dogs, cause the wife and kids won't let me get rid of them.

PuterTutor said:
Oh, well maybe I don't have to worry yet, all the boys have already been nuetered anyway, so unless she gets out, I don't have much to worry about, but I know if she has pups, I'm gonna have 4 or 6 or 8 new dogs, cause the wife and kids won't let me get rid of them.

Perhaps you should invest in a sledge for the winter... :D

Professur said:
Renegade, unless you enjoy paying vet bills, I'd reconsider. Those dogs are notorious for their poor health.

My way of picking a dog is to walk into the pound, and see which dog is most pathetic. If it's in (relatively) good health, .... you know.

Thanks for the thought Prof! We've heard that from someone, ($), but the woman who baby-sits for my fiance' has had good success with hers now for about 2 yrs.

At any rate, that concern bein' shared, I'm not gonna be the one to stand in the way of her havin' the oppertunity to experience this dream of hers, she has my support...............an' the puppy shall have my prayers!:D

PuterTutor said:
All three of the ones I have now have been rescued dogs. Cappy lived on a farm and from what I've heard, all his brothers and sisters are dead now, most ran over. Sneakers came from the pound, and Hana came from outside the local Walmart. I'd much rather have dogs like this than a dog that's been pampered all their life. It just makes me feel better knowing I gave them a better life than what they would have had.

Yer my fuckin' hero, ya know that?:bgtup:

My uncle has a saying. "Anyone who likes dogs can't be all bad."

Someone who rescues them get's my vote for sainthood.

Reminds me of an argument I once had with our minister. I'd read that dogs aren't allowed in heaven. I told him that I was heading out to sin my ass off. If there weren't any dogs in heaven, I wasn't going. He got a good laugh at that. I sinned my ass off.

Hey, PT...don't wait too long to get Hana spayed. I think it's easier on the dog if you do it before she's a year old. I had both little dogs fixed when they were baby puppies and it was not a big deal. I didn't get Dudley done till he was about 4...it was much rougher on him :(

I know :( He couldn't even sit in order to lie down. He sorta stretched and tipped over. He didn't eat at all for two days and didn't eat much the third...and he kept looking for his bubbas.

Q said:
I know :( He couldn't even sit in order to lie down. He sorta stretched and tipped over. He didn't eat at all for two days and didn't eat much the third...and he kept looking for his bubbas.

I would too, man.......................that's so intensely.............soberin':(

My oldest dog, Cappy didn't get fixed til he was over a year. I swear he gave me dirty looks for weeks after we had it done, but I can't recall ever thinking he was looking for them. Just more of a "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" Look. :shrug:

Back