Done give away the farm

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HEAD COUNT!!

I've said it on here before. While everyone was busy watching American Idol or Lost In The Great American Survivor Race To Hell's Kitchen Because You Think You Can Dance With The Stars, we got overrun. Now everybody wants it fixed. Tough. Shoulda been paying attention.

"This is just an extraordinary explosion of diversity all across the United States," said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank. "It's diversity and immigration going hand in hand."

Somebody hand me my shotgun, and I'll show this waste of bone marrow an extraordinary explosion. And I got news for Mr. Demography Think Tanker here (is that a real job? Think tank? What are the qualifications?). It ain't nowhere near nationwide. Mainly in the cities. We got our share around here, but hardly noticable unless you go to WalMart (which I don't), the large farms, or to the government offices. Except the one I work in...oddly enough, INS seems to get to most of them before they reach me. Go figure.

So get ready. Next thing you know, the rest of you will get to experience a little of what we grew up with. You'll be outnumbered. And you'll notice your history books, as well as other things, start to...shift. And you won't like it. And you just might remember this redneck feller you used to know about who just maybe had a point after all.

Tally-ho. Time for Spanish 101 class, Montana.

Start to shift?

Dude, in our textbooks, when we were reading the World War I chapter, the section of Women and Minority Achievenments was about the same size as Trench Warfare and Politics combined.

There were, IIRC, like ten guys who got the Congressional Medal Honor in WWI. One of them was black. Guess which one got a full page of the textbook, and which nine weren't even named.

I thus refer back to my favorite political commentary, the Sword of Truth books. Richard comments that by allowing yourself to be considered only as a member of a certain group, you lose your individuality and identity.

I don't have any problems with his achievements being mentioned. I don't believe that his ethnic heritage had remotely anything to do with his courage and valor. It's an insult to him to believe otherwise.

HOLY SHIT

Phantom came out!

I started on WFR back in like middle school, I remember finishing Naked Empire in first semester freshman health. Those savages gave me a hard time because of the title.

Then last fall, I found out that Chainfire came out, so I read through them and got all caught up, finished Chainfire around feb. I remember the discussion surrounding Phantom but I was like "aww damn release date isn't until the summer". A week or two back, I thought about it, but I was at work, and never got a chance to check, then I forgot about it.

Chainfire was kinda depressing. I mean, really depressing. I've never been as angry at a fictional character as I was at Sister Ulicia.

I can't remember the last one I read, I fell out of them a while back. i recently turned Rob on to reading them. He's reading pillars of creation right now, isn't that the 3rd one?

tonksy said:
I can't remember the last one I read, I fell out of them a while back. i recently turned Rob on to reading them. He's reading pillars of creation right now, isn't that the 3rd one?

I think that it's right before Naked Empire, which would make it number 7. Possibly number 6. I don't recall off the top of my head. It definetly wasn't 8 or 9, and it definetly wasn't 1-5, because Soul of the Fire was 5, and I know that it was before Pillars.

Altron said:
Start to shift?

Dude, in our textbooks, when we were reading the World War I chapter, the section of Women and Minority Achievenments was about the same size as Trench Warfare and Politics combined.

Dude...in that context, the Women's Suffrage was more important than a bunch of Europeans dying on the battlefield...I won't get into the minorities because you don't know what happened in Tulsa, OK. ;)

Altron said:
There were, IIRC, like ten guys who got the Congressional Medal Honor in WWI. One of them was black. Guess which one got a full page of the textbook, and which nine weren't even named.

The reason why you read so much about the black man was because he was, most likely, the first to ever get a CMH. Once again, you have to look at the context.

Altron said:
I thus refer back to my favorite political commentary, the Sword of Truth books. Richard comments that by allowing yourself to be considered only as a member of a certain group, you lose your individuality and identity.

I don't have any problems with his achievements being mentioned. I don't believe that his ethnic heritage had remotely anything to do with his courage and valor. It's an insult to him to believe otherwise.

Most likely not, but, once again, being the first in any achievement is in-and-of-itself, a great thing. Question for the "top of your head"...and no coaching...Who was the second man to walk on the moon?

Gato_Solo said:
Dude...in that context, the Women's Suffrage was more important than a bunch of Europeans dying on the battlefield...I won't get into the minorities because you don't know what happened in Tulsa, OK. ;)

The reason why you read so much about the black man was because he was, most likely, the first to ever get a CMH. Once again, you have to look at the context.

Most likely not, but, once again, being the first in any achievement is in-and-of-itself, a great thing. Question for the "top of your head"...and no coaching...Who was the second man to walk on the moon?

He wasn't the first person to get the medal of honor, so I don't think it's all that significant.

Altron said:
Other than his apperance, is there any difference between him and everyone else? No.

During that time period, it was a resounding 'yes'. You keep trying to put the past in a modern context. It wasn't and, no matter how you try, it will never be. You have no idea how it was because you have no frame of reference. S'n'P knows how it is when you use modern eyes to see the past...until then, try to do more than just read about the time period. Try to understand it.

Gato_Solo said:
During that time period, it was a resounding 'yes'. You keep trying to put the past in a modern context. It wasn't and, no matter how you try, it will never be. You have no idea how it was because you have no frame of reference. S'n'P knows how it is when you use modern eyes to see the past...until then, try to do more than just read about the time period. Try to understand it.

But so many people try to put the modern in a past context. That's what irks me. That they're looking at current times through the eyes of the past. Like when a Philly councilman wanted banks that had owned slaves in the 1800s to pay reparations to the black people in the city.

Altron said:
But so many people try to put the modern in a past context. That's what irks me. That they're looking at current times through the eyes of the past. Like when a Philly councilman wanted banks that had owned slaves in the 1800s to pay reparations to the black people in the city.

And you are doing the same thing by saying "He got the medal, that should be enough". In those times, it wasn't. Try reading up on Benjamin O. Davis, and see how times have changed.

Gato_Solo said:
And you are doing the same thing by saying "He got the medal, that should be enough". In those times, it wasn't. Try reading up on Benjamin O. Davis, and see how times have changed.

Ok, maybe the medal of honor was a bad example.

I open up the newspaper and read about affirmative actions and slave reparations and think "Build a bridge and get over it."
I could go on about the injustices facing Americans starting with the French and Indian War and continuing until the War of 1812, but I let the past be the past.

Affirmative action fucking BLOWS, son! My parents moved here from India back in the early 80s and worked from scratch to get where they are. They proved themselves to be worthy of this culture. If someone is daring enough to move here from another country they are already showing ambition. Affirmative action fucking gives them a handicap. Achieving success is by working hard. Success should not be handed over by some fruitcakes, who are trying to make things “easier”. Thinking they need to make it easier for us “foreigners”. Plus after getting that extra handicap, everyone else starts to hate us, thus, causing us to stay within our "packs." I can prove myself to be as good as the next guy and affirmative action can go to hell.

It’s a obsolete system.

Sawhney89 said:
Affirmative action fucking BLOWS, son! My parents moved here from India back in the early 80s and worked from scratch to get where they are. They proved themselves to be worthy of this culture. If someone is daring enough to move here from another country they are already showing ambition. Affirmative action fucking gives them a handicap. Achieving success is by working hard.
Yep.

Sawhney89 said:
Plus after getting that extra handicap, everyone else starts to hate us, thus, causing us to stay within our "packs."
Sad but true.

Back