Drive warranties

Cool. I haven't moved up to SATA yet, but when I do I'll surely give Seagate a long look. Thanks for the heads up, Postcode.

I hope this is the beginning of the end of the disposable PC components era.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see one of those very old 12-20MB WD drives still working, while many newer drives are dead.

Thanks Posty. I'm with you Luis. I've got an old WD 480 mb drive that I'm pretty sure still hums along just fine. It's got to be going on 11 years old now. I plug it in every once in a while just to check it.

Got a couple 20mb mfm drives that still work......of course, I don't have anything that'll fit on them, but hey, at least they work.

thanks for the link posty, i hope this is the beginning of a trend. as a rule i've always refused to buy drives with less than 3yrs, and those have been increasingly difficult to find.

I get the WD 7200rpm drives. They come with a standard three year warranty. I just can't remember if those ar the JB's or the BB's.

those are good drives, i picked up a special edition for my brother and it hasn't so much as looked at him funny.

They aren't to bad. All drives, theoretically, are guaranteed to fail at some point. WD has the advanced replacement and was the first company to start doing that so we started using them. THis was like five or so years ago. Been using them since. They get RMA's through the door pretty quick though. Seagate isn't to bad at that either, but Maxtor, what experience I've had so far, is the worse. Five weeks for hte last drive I sent out. They got it three days after I sent it but I had to wait a month before getting it tested and a new one issued. They have the advanced replacement policy now though.

I use the ever powerful guaranteed drive failure technique before any RMA though. Opps....how the hell did that thing fall off my desk? Darn.

:D

Back