dropping ZA, free firewall suggestions?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
After reading about ZA sending information to their servers and the misteries behind it, I decided to drop it.

Anyone knows of a good free firewall?

That's the one I'm trying right now.

The driver level protection kinda feels odd, specially when looking at the logs, certain packages are accepted and then are blocked.

I've been using it for a while. I don't know which ver I using.
It does take a little while to get it setup just right as you use it, but
I really like it because it blocks both incoming, and outgoing stuff.

i really dont know much of anything about firewalls. does McAfee make a good one?

I trust a router's (hardware) firewall more than software. :shrug: Otherwise, I use iptables (linux firewall).

I do not care much about outbound traffic, I know what's on my puter.

Home is a pretty safe place to be (behind 3 firewalls: dsl/nat router, nat router and sw firewall). But this is a laptop and I'm not always here.

Spot said:
is it adequate?

(sorry about hijacking your thread Luis :) )
I guess it helps some. I haven't used it in a looong time, so I'm not sure about the new ver.

I mainly just don't like any of mcafee, or norton stuff.

ZA was the only one monitoring outbound trafic. Is that still the case?

I highly recommend Sygate firewall. Like Cat said it takes a little while to get used to and set up but it's a very decent firewall and dificult to crash.
Prior to sygate i was using conceal pc firewall which ended up being bought out by mcafee and turned into bloatware. Mcafee firewall still a good firewall but along with so many other firewalls it can be forced into a crash.

So. Sygate and tiny are being/have been discontinued apparently. Anything besides ZoneAlarm nowadays?

Old version of sygate?

I can send it if you like. Firewalls rarely need updates.

Back