Drugs and sports

MrBishop

Do they necessarily have to go hand in hand where so many are doing it that if an athlete in question doesn't s/he has no chance of winning or is it a cost/chance analysis where you 'Have to win' and are willing to try or do anything to make that happen?

Performance enhancing drugs aren't new...just look back to the 1976 German Women's swim team, or pretty much every power-lifter or body-builder since then. There have been scandals despite the strick testing procedures put together by the IOC. Now, we're starting to see more of it in non-Olympic sports. The most recent...baseball and Palmiero.

Should drug-testing be applied to all pro-sports or should an honour-system be put in place with the 'outstanding' athletes being checked?

Thoughts?

My opinions, as a lifelong sports fan:

1. Drugs are not necessary. They are available, and if something is available, then someone will try it. This taints every other athlete in that sport.

2. They should be dealt with thusly: First offense, one year ban without pay, forfeiture of existing contract, return to free agent/undrafted talent pool upon successful completion of drug treatment and proof of drug-free body. Second offense: Lifetime ban. Period.

3. Admittedly, I am a huge Raphael Palmeiro fan, and have been for years. In my assessment, the man has the sweetest swing in the game, and one of the best in the history of the game. If he's guilty, he needs to face the music. If it costs him a spot at Cooperstown, so be it. You play, you pay.

4. Because drugs are now present, that means players must be tested. Pro, college, whatever. Like any other profession, if a few screw up then all pay for it. You know this going in. It's part of the territory. If you're not doping, you have no need to fear.

5. The enormous salaries and bonuses, along with endorsement deals and the like, place the pressure on athletes to fudge the rules. As fans, these are the reasons tickets and jerseys and stuff costs so much. We are paying for these guys to live the lives they do. We therefore have every right to demand compliance with civilized behavior. Thus, when some idiot is caught with a travel bag full of cocaine, or found to be on more steroids than it would take to kill a thoroughbred, we should demand that said athlete be held accountable and duly punished. We do it with any other profession, why not this one?

Some random thoughts on sports and drugs...

The biggest problem I see is that it's fairly arbitrary how they choose which supplements are banned and which ones are not. Also, baseball does not ban Human Growth Hormone (HGH). I guess the tests for HGH that exist aren't up to par yet, and the ones that do require base lining, which opens up another can of worms.

Baseball dropped the ball on drug testing in the 90’s; probably because they knew the way to get fans back in the stands after '94 was HOMERS. Juiced players turn fly balls into home runs.

What to do about illegal drugs? Should players be punished by their leagues (separate from their punishments from law enforcement) for smoking weed or doing smack (or other pain killers? It's not exactly a performance enhancer. Brett Favre was hooked on Vicodin during his first MVP season. Tons of NBA players smoke weed (they don’t test for pot in the NBA). Sam Perkins looked stoned every game. Coke? It can definitely aide a players performance. Look at Lawrence Taylor.

What about legal drugs like caffeine? Michael Bennett of the Vikings drinks black coffee at halftime, it's not illegal. Alcohol? We all know Mickey Mantle was a drunk, but he did alright on the field. Many of the banned supplements are legal to you and I, but banned by governing bodies or leagues.

Which substances to ban and which ones to allow is a tricky subject. In general I think anything that enhances performance should be banned and the punishment should be harsh. Illegal drugs, that's up to each league. Having pothead players doesn't do much for a leagues image, it hurts the product, plus these are private businesses and can test their employees how they see fit, IMO.

If this one turns out to be true then that makes things look really bad. If it was some bullshit steroid in a cold medicine or something, that would be one thing... but this obviously isn't it.

Just like every other walk of life.

We mouth the mantra "Drugs are bad M'Kay".

Well wake up and smell the cafe Jose

When there are tens of millions on the line
guys are gonna do what they gotta do.

Business as usual.

Funny the REAL human endeavors that really matter
(and pro sports show nuff ain't even close)
drugs as of yet don't help out one bit.

Who cares if the creatures in the coliseums are pumped up?

It is all justa game.

Back